Bug: exiftool updating Quicktime Rotation value sets values incorrectly

Started by ehet1708, February 15, 2020, 02:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehet1708

Reading of originally set Quicktime Rotation values for HEIC/HEIF files seems to be correct.

> exiftool -json -groupheadings -sort -n -a -e image.heic | grep Rotation
    "Rotation": 90,

But when I update the rotation of an image using:

> exiftool -Rotation=270 image.heic
    1 image files updated

And then read the value back out:
> exiftool -json -groupheadings -sort -n -a -e image.heic | grep Rotation
    "Rotation" : 4590,

This looks like for some reason the rotation values are getting an extra 12 rotations (12 x 360 = 4320) added to the values instead of simply being 0, 90, 180, 270

Using exiftool 11.86-1 from Debian bullseye (testing)

Phil Harvey

Thanks.  I'll look into this as soon as I get a chance and post back here when I know more.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

This bug will be fixed in ExifTool 11.88, to be released within a couple of days.

Thanks for this report!

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ehet1708

Cool, thanks for the quick response.  Any chance you can give a link that shows the fix so I can patch my current code?

Phil Harvey

You'll have to wait for the release.  I've made other changes as well.

- Phil

Phil Harvey