List of General- purpose metadata for photos

Started by Jom, March 15, 2020, 02:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jom

Here is the result of my research on metadata standards in finding a full main set of tags to complete filling in studio or home photo metadata (not photos of artworks).

Tags belong to the following standards:

• CIPA DC-010-2017 (Exif 2.31 metadata for XMP)
  • IPTC Photo Metadata Standard 2019.1
  • PLUS Version 1.2.2
  • XMP SPECIFICATION PART 1: DATA MODEL, SERIALIZATION, AND CORE PROPERTIES. April 2012
  • XMP SPECIFICATION PART 2: ADDITIONAL PROPERTIES. August 2016

--> — specifies that ExifTool uses the changed tag name in its context to make the tag names more consistent.

Maintained Data | Standard | Standard Tag                | ExifTool Tag                      | Value
=============================================================================================================================================================================
authorship      | EXIF     | artist                      | exif:artist                       | "Author Name"
authorship      | XMP      | dc:creator                  | xmp-dc:creator                    | "Author Name"
authorship      | XMP      | plus:imagecreatorname       | xmp-plus:imagecreatorname         | "Author Name"
authorship      | XMP      | Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrExtadr -->| xmp-iptccore:CreatorAddress       | "Address string"
authorship      | XMP      | Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrCity ---->| xmp-iptccore:CreatorCity          | "City name"
authorship      | XMP      | Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrCtry ---->| xmp-iptccore:CreatorCountry       | "Country name"
authorship      | XMP      | Iptc4xmpCore:CiEmailWork -->| xmp-iptccore:CreatorWorkEmail     | "authorname@email.domain"
authorship      | XMP      | Iptc4xmpCore:CiTelWork ---->| xmp-iptccore:CreatorWorkTelephone | "+123 45 678-90-12"
authorship      | XMP      | Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrPcode --->| xmp-iptccore:CreatorPostalCode    | "123456"
authorship      | XMP      | Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrRegion -->| xmp-iptccore:CreatorRegion        | "Region name"
authorship      | XMP      | Iptc4xmpCore:CiUrlWork ---->| xmp-iptccore:CreatorWorkUrl       | "sitename.domain"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
copyright       | EXIF     | copyright                   | exif:copyright                    | "© Author Name"
copyright       | XMP      | dc:rights                   | xmp-dc:rights                     | "© Author Name"
copyright       | XMP      | plus:copyrightownername     | xmp-plus:copyrightownername       | "Author Name"
copyright       | XMP      | plus:licensorname           | xmp-plus:licensorname             | "Author Name"
copyright       | XMP      | xmprights:owner             | xmp-xmprights:owner               | "Author Name"
copyright       | XMP      | xmprights:marked            | xmp-xmprights:marked              | "true"
copyright       | XMP      | plus:copyrightstatus        | xmp-plus:copyrightstatus          | Protected
copyright       | XMP      | plus:otherimageinfo         | xmp-plus:otherimageinfo           | "Any use of the original and derivative works of this image must be licensed."
copyright       | XMP      | xmprights:usageterms        | xmp-xmprights:usageterms          | "Any use of the original and derivative works of this image must be licensed."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
device owner    | EXIF     | cameraownername ----------->| exif:ownername                    | "Author Name"
device owner    | XMP      | exifex:cameraownername ---->| xmp-exifex:ownername              | "Author Name"
description     | XMP      | dc:description              | xmp-dc:description                | "Some description"
description     | XMP      | dc:subject                  | xmp-dc:subject                    | "keyword1, keyword2, ..."
description     | XMP      | dc:title                    | xmp-dc:title                      | "Some title"

Phil Harvey

Just a small point, but ciemailwork and ciurlwork are not themselves tags -- they are elements of the CreatorContactInfo structure.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Jom

Quote from: Phil Harvey on March 15, 2020, 03:52:53 PM
Just a small point, but ciemailwork and ciurlwork are not themselves tags -- they are elements of the CreatorContactInfo structure.

- Phil

Yes, I know.
But if I'm not mistaken, you can do this:
exiftool -xmp-iptccore:creatorworkemail="authorname@email.domain" -ext cr2 .

And get this:
f:\>exiftool -xmp-iptccore:creatorworkemail -ext cr2 .
======== ./_MG_5003.CR2
Creator Work Email              : authorname@email.domain

If I understand correctly (according to experiments with XML files), then ExifTool itself understands which tag belongs to the structure and creates this structure and writes the tag to it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Phil Harvey

You are correct about the ExifTool handling of this.  I was just pointing out that these entries are incomplete in the "Standard Tag" column of your table.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Jom

Thank you for your comment.
I just initially selected tags for individual use, but if this list is used for studios, I think we should add all the tags of the " Creator's Contact Info" structure.
I will fix this.

Jom

List of General- purpose metadata for photos is fixed.
Creator's Contact Info structure (all Iptc4xmpCore:Ci... tags) now is present complete.

Phil Harvey

That's not what I meant.

I meant that you haven't specified the structure.  So "Iptc4xmpCore:CiEmailWork" in your table should really be something like "Iptc4xmpCore:CreatorContactInfo/Iptc4xmpCore:CiEmailWork".

- Phil

Jom

Yes, I understand you.
I did this at first (only I did it as a General header over the structure tags), but then removed it. I wanted to present the list in a way that allows you to use tags immediately.
Did you make your offer just to improve visibility, or there technical requirements?

Jom

If it possible to fix this string in table from firt post
copyright  | XMP  | plus:copyrightstatus  | xmp-plus:copyrightstatus  | "http://ns.useplus.org/ldf/vocab/CS-PRO"
to this string
copyright  | XMP  | plus:copyrightstatus  | xmp-plus:copyrightstatus  | "Protected"

Phil Harvey

Quote from: Andrei Korzhyts on March 16, 2020, 04:15:57 PM
Did you make your offer just to improve visibility, or there technical requirements?

Just for technical accuracy.

Quote from: Andrei Korzhyts on March 17, 2020, 12:07:10 AM
If it possible to fix this string in table from firt post

Done.

- Phil

Jom

Quote from: Phil Harvey on March 17, 2020, 07:23:41 AM
Just for technical accuracy.
Yes, it's possible improve the list by showing structures, but then it will also need to do this for plus-tags. I created a this list for copy/paste. Posted it just in case someone saves time searching for tags. If someone have any queries about this list, then it's possible discuss its. Although everyone can arrange it as they want.

Quote from: Phil Harvey on March 17, 2020, 07:23:41 AM
Done.
Thanks.

Jom

==== UPDATED ====

For exif:copyright
"© Author Name" -> "(C) Author Name"
(Exif requires ASCII for its tag value fields, so the "©" character should be replaced with "(C)" (not "(c)"))

List of General-purpose metadata for photos
Список метаданных общего назначения для фотографий

Maintained Data | Standard | Standard Tag                | ExifTool Tag                      | Value
=============================================================================================================================================================================
authorship      | EXIF     | artist                      | exif:artist                       | "Author Name"
authorship      | XMP      | dc:creator                  | xmp-dc:creator                    | "Author Name"
authorship      | XMP      | plus:imagecreatorname       | xmp-plus:imagecreatorname         | "Author Name"
authorship      | XMP      | Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrExtadr -->| xmp-iptccore:CreatorAddress       | "Author Address string"
authorship      | XMP      | Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrCity ---->| xmp-iptccore:CreatorCity          | "Author City"
authorship      | XMP      | Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrCtry ---->| xmp-iptccore:CreatorCountry       | "Author Country"
authorship      | XMP      | Iptc4xmpCore:CiEmailWork -->| xmp-iptccore:CreatorWorkEmail     | "authoremail@email.domain"
authorship      | XMP      | Iptc4xmpCore:CiTelWork ---->| xmp-iptccore:CreatorWorkTelephone | "+123 45 678-90-12"
authorship      | XMP      | Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrPcode --->| xmp-iptccore:CreatorPostalCode    | "123456"
authorship      | XMP      | Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrRegion -->| xmp-iptccore:CreatorRegion        | "Author Region"
authorship      | XMP      | Iptc4xmpCore:CiUrlWork ---->| xmp-iptccore:CreatorWorkUrl       | "authorsitename.domain"
copyright       | EXIF     | copyright                   | exif:copyright                    | "(C) Author Name"
copyright       | XMP      | dc:rights                   | xmp-dc:rights                     | "© Author Name"
copyright       | XMP      | plus:copyrightownername     | xmp-plus:copyrightownername       | "Author Name"
copyright       | XMP      | plus:licensorname           | xmp-plus:licensorname             | "Author Name"
copyright       | XMP      | xmprights:owner             | xmp-xmprights:owner               | "Author Name"
copyright       | XMP      | xmprights:marked            | xmp-xmprights:marked              | "true"
copyright       | XMP      | plus:copyrightstatus        | xmp-plus:copyrightstatus          | "Protected"
copyright       | XMP      | plus:otherimageinfo         | xmp-plus:otherimageinfo           | "Any use of the original and derivative works of this image must be licensed."
copyright       | XMP      | xmprights:usageterms        | xmp-xmprights:usageterms          | "Any use of the original and derivative works of this image must be licensed."
device owner    | EXIF     | cameraownername ----------->| exif:ownername                    | "Author Name"
device owner    | XMP      | exifex:cameraownername ---->| xmp-exifex:ownername              | "Author Name"
description     | XMP      | dc:description              | xmp-dc:description                | "Some description"
description     | XMP      | dc:subject                  | xmp-dc:subject                    | "keyword1, keyword2, ..."
description     | XMP      | dc:title                    | xmp-dc:title                      | "Some title"