Make image from camera look like it has been taken from other device

Started by jhon842, April 26, 2020, 06:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhon842

Hi

For academic purpose we asked to change image to look from another camera.

I'm using Exiftool to detect most of the metadata tags and was able to find them on the raw bytes and change them but I couldn't find a specific tag.

The image is from a Sony Camera and there is not any serial tag on the image but there is a weird tag called InternalSerilaNumber (https://exiftool.org/TagNames/Sony.html#Tag9050a)
I can find any documentation where this serial is located, so I'm trying in here if any1 can help me?

another question is if you what is this tag for? it is not look like the serial of the camera

Thanks a lot.

Phil Harvey

The first step would be to copy the EXIF as a block.  This will include the MakerNotes, with tags such as InternalSerialNumber:

exiftool -tagsfromfile SRCFILE -exif DSTFILE

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

jhon842

Hey Phil thank you for your reply

I dont have other image to override this serial, we need to change it manually.
From what I have seen by using a simple search of this bytes I cant find it using 010 editor.
I've tried Big & Little Endiand, is the MakeNotes might be encoded somehow?

Phil Harvey

If you just want to change InternalSerialNumber, the command is:

exiftool -internalserialnumber="<something>" FILE

But this will restructure the EXIF somewhat, so one could tell that it was edited.

Yes, much of the Sony maker notes are encrypted, but I'm not sure about this specific tag.  Use exiftool -v3 to see all the details.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).