Warning from scanned images

Started by SteveF48, May 07, 2020, 01:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveF48

IMatch log shows lots of Exiftool warnings:-
Warning: IPTC pointer references previous Photoshop directory

What do they mean and how can I fix the files? Do I need to?
Thanks in advance
Steve

Phil Harvey

Hi Steve,

If you could send me a sample I will take a look:  (philharvey66 at gmail.com)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Hi Steve,

I got the file, thanks.

The root problem is that the file contains a Photoshop record in the wrong location for a JPEG image (the "minor" warning below):

> exiftool "Y276 1987-12.jpg" -validate -warning -a
Validate                        : 4 Warnings (1 minor)
Warning                         : Non-standard format (undef) for IFD0 0x8649 PhotoshopSettings
Warning                         : [minor] Non-standard Photoshop at JPEG-APP1-IFD0-Photoshop
Warning                         : IPTC pointer references previous Photoshop directory
Warning                         : Invalid value for ExifIFD tag 0x9000 ExifVersion

This problem reveals in issue in ExifTool: The warning about the IPTC pointer is actually wrong, and this will be fixed in the next release.

The non-standard IPTC shouldn't cause problems (other than making the file larger than necessary), and would be difficult to remove, so I suggest just leaving the file as it is.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

SteveF48

Thanks Phil, sorry for the delay in responding
Steve