[Question] Time field used when geotagging

Started by BubbleGuppies, June 07, 2020, 05:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbleGuppies

Hello all!
I've been doing some experimenting and have a question(s). The way I understand, when geotagging I can use either the "standard":
exiftool -geotag log.gpx *jpg

or the sub-second version https://exiftool.org/geotag.html#Examples:
exiftool -geotag log.gpx "-GeoTime<SubSecDateTimeOriginal" *jpg

I'm guessing that the first version uses the CreateDate or some field that rounds to the nearest second. In my mind, the sub-second version would be a "higher-resolution" or more accurate interpolation. Is this interpretation correct? If so, why is using subseconds not the default for the -geotag flag when the field is available?

~thanks!!  :)

StarGeek

Quote from: BubbleGuppies on June 07, 2020, 05:40:00 AM
I'm guessing that the first version uses the CreateDate or some field that rounds to the nearest second.

From the docs on Geotime
      If a value for Geotime is not given, it is taken from unformatted value of DateTimeOriginal for each image

QuoteIn my mind, the sub-second version would be a "higher-resolution" or more accurate interpolation. Is this interpretation correct? If so, why is using subseconds not the default for the -geotag flag when the field is available?

Phil will have to answer this.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Quote from: StarGeek on June 07, 2020, 11:56:12 AM
Quote from: BubbleGuppies on June 07, 2020, 05:40:00 AM
In my mind, the sub-second version would be a "higher-resolution" or more accurate interpolation. Is this interpretation correct? If so, why is using subseconds not the default for the -geotag flag when the field is available?

Phil will have to answer this.

Most cameras don't write SubSecDateTimeOriginal.  So I suppose you are suggesting using this in addition to DateTimeOriginal?  This does make sense, but is more complicated and may make the documentation more confusing.  Also, most people don't need sub-second accuracy, and I didn't think about this at the time.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BubbleGuppies

This is not an issue for. I'm just deep-diving for my own understanding. Thanks for the reply and awesome tool.