Main Menu

Large file support

Started by wywh, July 11, 2020, 02:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wywh

I have a 2.3 GB m4v file that fails my command with "LargeFileSupport not enabled" (exiftool 12.00, macOS 10.14).

I then put and renamed /usr/local/bin/.ExifTool_config file and with pico typed "LargeFileSupport => 1," to the instructed place in it. But nevertheless I get the "LargeFileSupport not enabled" alert.

After adding "-api largefilesupport=1" to my command it works.

I then deleted .ExifTool_config and my command with "-api largefilesupport=1" worked even without it.

Is .ExifTool_config not needed for large files anymore?

- Matti

Phil Harvey

Hi Matti,

You either need to do it on the command line or (properly) in the config file.  Both aren't necessary.

I suspect you got the config file syntax wrong, or the config file wasn't being loaded if it didn't work for you there.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

wywh

Thanks for the reply! It turns out the cause for the error was that I saved the ExifTool_config file from Chrome (Web Page, HTML Only) and there were html tags all over the place that caused errors when exiftool tried to load it.

I then copied the page and pasted it into BBEdit text editor and saved as UNIX LF text file after deleting the html tag at the very end. Then it worked OK. Could there be a text-only download link that prevents such a mistake?

The "-api LargeFileSupport=1" option was also somewhat hard to find unless the user knows it must be mentioned somewhere. Maybe an entry about LargeFileSupport could be added to the FAQ?

https://exiftool.org/config.html

https://exiftool.org/ExifTool.html#Config

- Matti

Phil Harvey

Hi Matti,

Quote from: wywh on July 12, 2020, 04:07:50 AM
I then copied the page and pasted it into BBEdit text editor and saved as UNIX LF text file after deleting the html tag at the very end. Then it worked OK. Could there be a text-only download link that prevents such a mistake?

I haven't seen anyone else with this problem.  The text-only version is part of the full distribution, and available here.  I don't want to make a link to github from the ExifTool web pages, and I'm not sure where this link would go if it hosted the .config file myself.

QuoteThe "-api LargeFileSupport=1" option was also somewhat hard to find unless the user knows it must be mentioned somewhere.

It is mentioned in the warning that you get if you don't use this option when it is required.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

And here I always assumed that the Example Config was just a simple text file.  My older version of FireFox (actually WaterFox) saves it as text but there's no option to do so in Chrome.  Strange.  I'll have to update my copy/paste link.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).