News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

File format error NEF NIkon D7000

Started by bradwave, July 28, 2020, 12:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradwave

Hello

I am new here. I used steller data recovery to recover my jpegs and nef's from my externel HD. My images were taken on a Nikon D7000. I recovered 95% of my images but a few folders with jpegs and raws are not readable on adobe camera raw. So i am trying to repair my nef's. I am using ExifTool 12.00 but i get a reply as follows:
File Size                       : 18 MB
File Modification Date/Time     : 2020:07:01 21:32:00+02:00
File Access Date/Time           : 2020:07:28 12:55:08+02:00
File Inode Change Date/Time     : 2020:07:28 12:52:40+02:00
File Permissions                : rw-r--r--
Error                           : File format error

Let me know if i can send you a NEF to have a look at it please.

Thank you.

Please can someone help.

StarGeek

Just to let you know, the odds are that the non-loading images have been corrupted.  One thing you can do to check is zip the file up and check the size.  An 18 MB NEF shouldn't compress at all and should be about the same size zipped.  If you zip it up and the file compresses down to about 10% of the original size or less, then it is corrupted beyond recovery.

Someone with more experience checking damaged files should be along shortly.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

bradwave

Hi

Thank you for your reply. I did zip the one NEF file and it zipped as the same file size about 18 MB NEF.
So that's a good sign.

StarGeek

One thing you can try is Phil's extract_preview script.  You need to have Perl installed, but it will try and extract any embedded jpgs from the file.  If it works, you'll at least have a jpg copy of the image.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Send me one of the files and I'll take a look (philharvey66 at gmail.com)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).