Exiftool 12.05 claims to be 11.63

Started by ScannerBoy, September 07, 2020, 10:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScannerBoy

when I run the latest Exiftool - 12.05 according to the website & file name - it responds with 11.63 when I run it from the command line with -ver
Is that as it should be?
and why?
Could not locate any answers to this question on the forum, but it is early in the day .... and perhaps I need more coffee :-)

Phil Harvey

You must have version 11.63 installed somewhere else on your system.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ScannerBoy

I do and so I tried running PS in the download/install directory and I get
PS E:\Downloads\Graphics\ExifTool\exiftool-12.05> .\exiftool.exe -ver
12.05 [Warning: Library version is 11.63]
PS E:\Downloads\Graphics\ExifTool\exiftool-12.05>

Some of the other versions are used/installed by some of the other utilities I have on my system who will presumably use their own installed version, but eventually I did find 11.63 in a directory which was on the path.
removing it and running plain exiftool -ver from the PS command line gave me "11.90"
So there must be another one, but which one. After a year or 2 of active use, my PATH is horribly long .....
Is there a way to make sure, because even given the relative path to the desired executable does not seem good enough?

ScannerBoy

As an example of my problem, I am running what I think is a good download of 12.05 from the directory on my hard drive and the output I get:
--- Output From ""E:\Downloads\Graphics\ExifTool\exiftool-12.05\exiftool.exe" -ver "E:\TestImages\TestFiles\JPGs\UserComment\AndroidExifPro0.0.9Unicode-5.jpg"" ---
12.05 [Warning: Library version is 11.63]
ExifTool Version Number         : 11.63
File Name                       : AndroidExifPro0.0.9Unicode-5.jpg

Help!

StarGeek

Try clicking the Start button and type in
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp
and delete any par-* directories.

Also, if you have Perl installed, check under any of the lib directories for old libraries, such as
\perl\site\lib\auto\Image\ExifTool
\perl\lib\Image\ExifTool
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

ScannerBoy

Found one par-* directory in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp; deleted it but no change in the version reported
Checked my PC with an uninstaller, there is no copy of Perl at all on this PC.
'Which' tells me there is no exiftool.exe on my path, though there a number of exiftool.exe installed by utilities such as XnViewMp, Metadata++, PhotoTools and of course older versions I had downloaded, but non are on the system or user path
Still, same issue

Phil Harvey

This command will tell you the Perl include directories:

exiftool -ver -v2

One of the listed directories must contain the old version.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ScannerBoy

PS E:\Downloads\Graphics\ExifTool\exiftool-12.05> .\exiftool.exe -ver -v2
ExifTool version 12.05 [Warning: Library version is 11.63]
Perl version 5.024000 (-C0)
Platform: MSWin32
Optional libraries:
  Archive::Zip                 1.47
  Compress::Zlib               2.069
  Digest::MD5                  2.54
  Digest::SHA                  5.95
  IO::Compress::Bzip2          2.069
  Time::Piece                  1.31
  Unicode::LineBreak           (not installed)
  IO::Compress::RawDeflate     2.069
  IO::Uncompress::RawInflate   2.069
  Win32::API                   0.84
  Win32::FindFile              0.15
  Win32API::File               0.1203
Include directories:
  E:\Downloads\Graphics\ExifTool\exiftool-12.05/lib
  C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\PAR\inc\lib
  C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\PAR\inc
  CODE(0x355e6c4)
  CODE(0x355e8bc)
PS E:\Downloads\Graphics\ExifTool\exiftool-12.05>

I did notice the PAR directory, & was tempted to remove or rename it, but resisted the urge - is that part of the problem? I did have a different exiftool package installed because I had issues trying to run the 'regular' version in a secondary thread

Phil Harvey

If there are libraries in C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\PAR\inc, then we have a problem.

Perhaps the thing to do is try the alternate Windows version.  I think this may solve the problem.

- Phil

ScannerBoy

Is that PAR directory needed by the 'regular' exiftool?
I had intended to remove the alternate version but likely missed some files when I remove the alternate.
That's the problem with program which leave a trail of bread crumbs, one never knows who might be looking for them :-(

Phil Harvey

ScannerBoy

Thank you for the confirmation - more work for me to sort this out