Bug (I think) in setting Camera Model Name for Fujifilm .RAF files

Started by LATB, September 09, 2020, 05:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LATB

Apologies if this is a known problem with a known solution:

I am trying to set the "Camera Model Name" for Fujifilm raw files, and the resulting file has some problem: it cannot be displayed by e.g. Capture One or MetaImage, but it can still be opened e.g. by Affinity Photo. There seems to be some problem related to the embedded preview, possibly (I don't know how to debug further).

I tried with files from a X-T1 and a XF10 camera. Other files, e.g. iPhone7, work just fine. Other Metadata seems to work fine, too!

The command showing the problem (ExifTool 12.05 on the Mac) is:

$ exiftool -model="new" DSCF4011.JPG

Files before and after are on Dropbox at the links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7sxbnan8ug26bs/DSCF4011.RAF?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxg83fp0kls1g16/DSCF4011.RAF_original?dl=0

They are a bit large to upload, I suppose, hope you can have  a look.

Your help is very much appreciated, let me know if I can do anything to help in debugging or fixing -- hope this is not a stupid mistake on my side!

Best regards, LATB

StarGeek

See FAQ #8c, "I can't view a RAW image after changing the model tag"

Edit: Your example command operates on a .jpg file, for which there shouldn't be any problem.  If there is, then something else is happening.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

LATB

Thank you very much -- I really should have looked more carefully at the FAQ and apologies for the noise!

I'm now using

$ exiftool -tagsfromfile src.RAW -makernotes -make -model dst.RAW

and that works just as intended. Thanks a lot!

greybeard

Phil Harvey

Quote from: greybeard on September 13, 2020, 11:04:24 AM
Why are you trying to change the model name?

Sir Hillary, why did you try to climb Mt. Everest?

- Phil

Ours is not to reason why.  Ours is but to do or die.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

greybeard

There is always the choice between answering the question exactly as asked and actually trying to understand the problem.

Phil Harvey

Quote from: greybeard on September 14, 2020, 03:42:35 AM
There is always the choice between answering the question exactly as asked and actually trying to understand the problem.

Yes, of course.  I was trying to defer the question with a bit of humour.  The main reason people want to do this is so that they can get their raw software to process a file from a camera model that isn't yet supported.  But in general I don't ask questions like this for privacy reasons.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

LATB

I *was* trying to change the model name for a RAW file, sorry for the .JPG typo.

I'm trying, in Capture One, to use film emulation profiles from the newer Fujifilm cameras for my X-T1 and XF10 raw files. It "kind of" works with the command exiftool -tagsfromfile src.RAW -makernotes -make -model dst.RAW

On YouTube there are claims that it supposedly works just fine, although my experience is different in that some files work, others don't.

I certainly don't know what I'm doing (but like some of the results)... Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

greybeard

Quote from: LATB on September 14, 2020, 05:38:35 PM
I *was* trying to change the model name for a RAW file, sorry for the .JPG typo.

I'm trying, in Capture One, to use film emulation profiles from the newer Fujifilm cameras for my X-T1 and XF10 raw files. It "kind of" works with the command exiftool -tagsfromfile src.RAW -makernotes -make -model dst.RAW

On YouTube there are claims that it supposedly works just fine, although my experience is different in that some files work, others don't.

I certainly don't know what I'm doing (but like some of the results)... Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I took your original file : DSCF4011.RAF_original and renamed it back to DSCF4011.RAF

Then used the following exiftool command:

exiftool -Model="X-T30" DSCF4011.RAF

Then imported into the latest version of Capture One 20 Pro for Fujifilm

The curve dropdown under Base Characteristics gave me the option of using all the X-T30 Film Simulations

(when importing the file without changing the model name it did not give me those options).

LATB

Thank you! It now works for me, too.

What I am trying to do is to use the film simulation for the newer Fujifilm bodies, e.g. the Classic Negative simulation of the new X-T4, on my old Fujifilm bodies, namely the X-T1 and XF10. Andrew&Denae at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-6Eoreuros showed how this worked for using the X-T4 profiles for X-T3 and X70 files, and I wanted to do the same using ExifTool. Thanks again for showing me how to do that!

I now figured out what went wrong in my previous attempts, when I got confusing results (it worked sometimes, but not always):

(1) if the RAW file was already loaded in the Capture One session some of the metadata seems to gets cached even after deleting the file in the file system, and even if one also deletes the corresponding .cos file in the Capture One subfolder.

Then when changing the -Model  metadata and copying the RAW file back, Capture One gets confused with the difference on what it still had in its database and the updated EXIF data. No problems for freshly imported files.

(2) Andrew&Denae showed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-6Eoreuros that this method works with the X70. The X70 is not in the list of supported bodies, like the X-T1 which is also not in the list, but the method described still works just fine for those models.

I falsely assumed it would also work with the Fujifilm XF10, and together with the confusion (1) initially I had some puzzling cases where it did, well, something. However, in reality this does not really work at all with the XF10 RAWs. I think the reason might be that the XF10 has a bayer-type sensor, different from the X-Trans sensor of the X-T1 and all the other bodies on the supported list.

However, what DOES work is to use color profiles of fleckintosh on the Fuji X Forum, see https://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/3772-capture-one-pro-9-film-simulations-incl-acros/ and the downloads at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nmvmmlkab96yn1k/AACWp6VIQmmnPNgwdP0yeBJna?dl=0. For the XF10, just rename the files like FujiXF10-Acros.icc etc, put them into ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles, and you'll find those in the list of simulations for XF10 RAWs. I imagine this would also work for the other Bayer-sensors like the X100, A7, etc.

It is really fun to play with this, I hope this helps somebody to try out a few film simulation that Fuji didn't expect us to try out.