• Error: File not found - …

Started by dimitri_c, October 10, 2020, 03:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dimitri_c

Hello Phil -

I use the ExifTool everytime I have to develop some photographies.
But since a couple og last updates for each picture I get the following message for example (do I have to worry?):

Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003479.dng
Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003475.dng
Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003478.dng
Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003480.dng
Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003477.dng
Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003488.dng
Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003492.dng
Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003491.dng
Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003490.dng
Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003493.dng
Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003489.dng
Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003494.dng
Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003500.dng
Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003501.dng
Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003506.dng
Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003499.dng
Error: File not found - /Volumes/BackPhotos/ANDERLUES/DNG/._B0003495.dng

Before I NEVER had this message ;-)

I work under Mac OS X 10.14.6, and my camera is an Hasselblad X1DII

Thank you, long life to ExifTool :-)

- Dimitri

Phil Harvey

Hi Dimitri,

MacOS creates files with names starting with "._" on filesystems which don't support file forks.  They are used to store additional information about the files (maybe like icon location and such).  You can safely ignore any messages about these files.  I just delete these files myself.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

dimitri_c

Hey Phil -

Thank you for your reply... I appreciate.

Small question, could you add a feature to ExifTool that safely delete these unnecessary files?
Or at least that doesn't show these messages?
I though there was an option in ExiTool to avoid "error" messages to be displayed in the Terminal (since I work on Mac OS X).

Here is my Terminal command line I always use:

exiftool -m -r -artist='Dimitri Castrique aka the.bend' -keywords='Dimitri Castrique' -keywords=Castrique -keywords=Ploegsteert -copyright='(c) Dimitri Castrique aka the.bend' -Credit='Dimitri Castrique' -xmp:copyrightstatus=protected -xmp-xmprights:marked=true -xmp-xmprights:webstatement='http://www.thebend.be' /Volumes/BackPhotos/XXX/DNG

-Dimitri

Phil Harvey

There is no option to ignore errors, but -m will ignore warnings.

You can delete these files with "xattr -c FILE".

I don't know if there is anything that I should be doing in ExifTool to avoid these -- let me think about this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

I still don't know why you were getting the "File not found" messages, but these sidecar file may contain some potentially useful metadata so I will add the ability to read these in ExifTool 12.08.  This will not help your situation, but it will at least allow these files to be identified and the metadata to be extracted from them.

- Phil

Phil Harvey

OK.  To address your problem...

Try adding this to your command:  -if4 '$filename !~ /^\./'

This will avoid processing files with names starting with "." (with only a small speed penalty).

- Phil

svattipalli

Hi Phil

I am executing these commands and I am getting file no found error. can you help me?

exiftool  -all= -tagsFromFile "D:\users\svattipalli\imageMagickImages\U\F\66\10059066\537.jpg" -XMP:All= "D:\users\svatipalli\imageMagickImages\U\F\66\10059066\537.jpg"
Error: File not found - D:/users/svatipalli/imageMagickImages/U/F/66/10059066/537.jpg
    0 image files updated
    1 files weren't updated due to errors

Phil Harvey

Try this:

dir "D:\users\svattipalli\imageMagickImages\U\F\66\10059066\537.jpg"

if that doesn't work, try this:

dir "D:\users\svattipalli\imageMagickImages\U\F\66\10059066"

then this

dir "D:\users\svattipalli\imageMagickImages\U\F\66"

and so on until you find something that works, then build it back up again using existing files/directories until you have a file that exists.

- Phil