Main Menu

HEIC Support

Started by mulder911, October 16, 2020, 08:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mulder911

Hello, I'm new here so please forgive me if this has already been asked and answered.

Does ExifTool support IPTC tags, specifically description caption to write it directly to the file instead of a sidecar XMP file?

Thank you Phil for building this tool it is really impressive, I ask for the above because I'm just not used to XMP's and would rather stay away from them for now. If there is no support for that is there an alternative rather than using jpeg? I've been told jpeg is larger files this I can verify but supposedly HEIC quality from an iPhone is better than jpeg and while on certain ones I can tell the difference, on others the difference doesn't seem to be there.

Thank you for your help.

StarGeek

Quote from: mulder911 on October 16, 2020, 08:23:29 PM
Does ExifTool support IPTC tags, specifically description caption to write it directly to the file instead of a sidecar XMP file?

If you check the Supported File Types table, you'll see that exiftool supports writing EXIF, XMP, and Quicktime tags in HEIC files, but not IPTC, which is the older IPTC IIM/Legacy tags.  If you mean IPTC Core, then yes, as those tags are XMP tags.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

mulder911

Thank you for that quick reply. I have a lot to learn, here I was using IPTC tags on my images thinking... hey this is neat I can use this to finally insert information into my photos that travel with the file forever unless they are manually removed. Not knowing that I was using an older format. Will have to look into XMP more and figure out how to embed it into the file instead of sidecar files.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I'll go do some more reading now.

StarGeek

You can download the iptc2xmp.args file and use that to copy all your IPTC tags to their corresponding XMP tags in bulk.  Your command would be something like
exiftool -tagsFromFile @ -@ iptc2xmp.args /path/to/files/

All the args files
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).