Strip all metadata from movies?

Started by Indiana Moans, December 30, 2020, 05:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indiana Moans

I hate all the information that gets embedded when I want to share a file! I always strip the metadata from images, that's easy to do, but what about movies? Can ExifTool do this, and if not, can anyone recommend anything that will?

StarGeek

Exiftool can strip some metadata away from a video file, but it's not going to strip away data that's embedded in the stream or unusual things like an EXIF block (which is against the spec).

Your best bet is to losslessly remux with something like ffmpeg.  For example, this command will quickly, losslessly create a new file that shouldn't have any personal identifiable data
ffmpeg -i Input.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy Output.mp4

There are GUIs for ffmpeg, if that's easier, as well as other programs such as AVIDemux.  I use the latter to do lossless cut/paste on videos, as long as the cut is on the key frames.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Indiana Moans

Hey thanks for that info! :-) I'm not very comfortable with command line stuff so always prefer GUIs. I already use AVIDemux, a great tool for cropping movies - could you please tell me how I might use it to remove the metadata?

Phil Harvey

Quote from: StarGeek on December 30, 2020, 06:29:30 PM
but it's not going to strip away data that's embedded in the stream or unusual things like an EXIF block (which is against the spec).

Actually, I think it should remove EXIF blocks if they exist, but I haven't tested all possibilities so I can't say for sure.  But StarGeek is correct that ExifTool doesn't deal with metadata if it exists in the video stream.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: Indiana Moans on December 31, 2020, 05:09:09 AM
I already use AVIDemux, a great tool for cropping movies - could you please tell me how I might use it to remove the metadata?

Just load it up, set everything to copy, and then save it out.  Let's see, I already have an image posted here somewhere...

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Indiana Moans

Quote from: StarGeek on December 31, 2020, 10:52:09 AMJust load it up, set everything to copy, and then save it out.
Wow, this is great! In other words, Avidemux strips all the metadata *by default!* Fantastic,  thank you! :-)

Then of course I can use ExifTool to check it worked!

StarGeek

Quote from: Indiana Moans on December 31, 2020, 11:34:10 AMIn other words, Avidemux strips all the metadata *by default!* Fantastic,  thank you! :-)

Which is actually a major annoyance for me.  I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get some of the original timestamps into the new video.

Indiana Moans

Quote from: StarGeek on December 31, 2020, 11:38:16 AMWhich is actually a major annoyance for me.  I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get some of the original timestamps into the new video.
Ah, yes, I can imagine it might be annoying  for some tasks. The program could do with a nice big checkbox "Copy metadata".