HOW TO UNDO FILE CONVERSION?! *DID I LOSE MY CLIENTS ORIGINALS?!

Started by houseofbaum88, February 22, 2021, 07:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houseofbaum88

HOPEFULLY, YOU GUYS CAN HELP ME OUT.

MY NAME IS CORNELIUS AND IM A PHOTOGRAPHER, FILMMAKER.

I'VE BEEN USING MY SONY A7III FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS NOW. I NORMALLY USE LIGHTROOM TO EDIT BUT QUICKLY FIGURED OUT I NEEDED TO CONVERT .ARW FILES IN ORDER FOR ME TO VIEW IT, LET ALONE EDIT THEM. I FOUND THE EXIFTOOL AND HAVE BEEN USING IT. TODAY I FUCKED UP AND DIDNT BRING THE PHOTOS TO MY DESKTOP. I DID EVERYTHING ON THE SD CARD.

I CONVERTED THE WHOLE FOLDER OF PHOTOS BUT I WAS ONLY ABLE TO SEE A 1/4 OF THEM. I TRIED TO DO THE OTHER 3/4 AGAIN AND NOW IM NOT ABLE TO SEE THEM AT ALL. I JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT SONY'S IMAGE EDGE DESKTOP APP. SO I OPEN THAT AND I CAN'T VIEW NONE OF THE .ARW FILES. THERE'S A BROKEN SYMBOL.

IS THERE A WAY TO UNDO THE CONVERSION SO I CAN GET MY ORIGINALS BACK? (OH, THE ORIGINAL DOUBLES exec files THAT IT MAKES, THERE'S ONLY 1/4O OF THEM.

PLEASE HELP!   :(

Phil Harvey

You ask about undoing the conversion?  What conversion?  You say you need to convert the .ARW files to view them, so I'm thinking maybe you are talking about an ARW->DNG conversion using Adobe DNG Converter?  If so, that can't be undone.

If you are talking about any thing done by ExifTool, you can restore the originals preserved when ExifTool writes to a file like this:

exiftool -restore_original DIR

- Phil

P.S.  All caps is not necessary
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

It might be that the "conversion" was actually changing the Make/Model tags.  And I think that the last line indicates that there's only 1 of the _Original files.

houseofbaum88, you'll need to give actual details on what you did so well can tell if there's a way to fix the problem.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).