Find/fix pairs jpeg metadata missing in raw

Started by obetz, March 04, 2021, 05:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obetz

Hi all,

cleaning up older parts of my collection I want to search raw-jpg pairs where I added metadata to the jpg instead of the raw file.

The jpg files are in a "dxo" subfolder of the folder containing the raw file but have varying appendices, e.g. "foobar_4711.cr2" belongs to "dxo/foobar_4711_baz.jpg" or "dxo/foobar_4711_xyz.jpg".

The first and more important step would be to identify pairs where the cr2 has no headline, description, keywords, location, coordinates but the jpg has.

Even better would be to get a new xmp sidecar for the cr2 filled with the missing metadata. But since I expect not too many of these pairs, I can handle them also manually.

Any hint?

Oliver

Phil Harvey

The exiftool app really deals with one file at a time, so you have to get very creative if you want to compare metadata between two files.  But this would be trivial with a small Perl script using the ExifTool API if you know any Perl.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

obetz

Thanks for the quick reply Phil.

I was afraid that there is no simple way. I know some Perl and should be able to find a solution.

I guess the same applies if I want to find xmp-cr2 pairs with redundant or even conflicting metadata? Initially I wrote to the raw files but switched later to sidecars...

Oliver