Placeholder in keyword-search possible?

Started by Birdman, March 06, 2021, 04:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdman

Hello there,

is there a way to put placeholders in a keyword-search? I still have problems with Umlaute (ä/ö/ü) and there is no way to chnage this in Win 10 unless other software is affected. So I am looking for a replacement for the "ä" in "Gewässer", something like this: "Gew?sser". I even tried ASCII-Code, like shown in my comand shell: "Gew├ñsser" but this didn't work.

exiftool -if "$keywords" -sep "," -keywords= "-keywords<${keywords@;$_ = undef unless /XXX|Name1|Name2|Gewässer|See/i}" -overwrite_original D:\Bilder\X_Metadaten\*.jpg
Best regards,

Martin (Birdman)

StarGeek

Use a single dot . to replace a single character.  In RegEx, the dot is the wildcard for a single character.
exiftool -if "$keywords" -sep "," -keywords= "-keywords<${keywords@;$_ = undef unless /XXX|Name1|Name2|Gew.sser|See/i}" -overwrite_original D:\Bilder\X_Metadaten\*.jpg
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Birdman

So easy, thanks for the advice! For one "Umlaut" there have to be even two dots, so "Gew..sser" worked.

If working in Windows and for my understanding: when looking for a "real" dot instead of a placeholder, this has to masked? Like searching for "End of sentence. New sentence" would be something like "End of sentence%%.%% New sentence"?
Best regards,

Martin (Birdman)

Phil Harvey

To look for a real "." use "\." in the regular expression.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).