Warnings and errors in metadata

Started by alex980029, March 11, 2021, 04:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex980029

Hey everyone,

I'm new to exiftool and only really know how to edit dates and such.
I'm having trouble cleaning up warnings in metadata, I had a look at other forums but I really have no clue what a lot of it means.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

The list of warnings I need help with is as follows:

Warning                         : [minor] Text chunk(s) found after PNG IDAT (may be ignored by some readers)
Warning                         : [minor] Fixed incorrect URI for xmlns:MicrosoftPhoto
Warning                         : [minor] The ExtractEmbedded option may find more tags in the media data
Warning                         : [minor] Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by -24?)

I think I fixed the last warning using the command:
exiftool -F -exif:resolutionunit=inches image.jpg

But again I am not sure if that is correct and don't want to ruin the image.
Thanks again any helps greatly appreciated :)

StarGeek

Quote from: alex980029 on March 11, 2021, 04:27:50 PM
Warning                         : [minor] Text chunk(s) found after PNG IDAT (may be ignored by some readers)

You can ignore this unless one of the programs you're using can't read the metadata.

QuoteWarning                         : [minor] Fixed incorrect URI for xmlns:MicrosoftPhoto

You can ignore this completely.  It's the case of a Microsoft not following it's own spec.  There's an extra (or is it missing?) slash in the XMP data.  It almost certainly won't affect any program reading this data.

This is the command I used to fix the issue, before I dumped Microsoft tags altogether.
exiftool -if "$XMP-microsoft:all" -XMP-microsoft:all= -tagsfromfile @ -XMP-microsoft:all -P -overwrite_original /path/to/files/

QuoteWarning                         : [minor] The ExtractEmbedded option may find more tags in the media data

This isn't an error, it's just a warning to let you know there might be more data in the file.  You will find this on video files and some other file types.  You would have to add the -ee (-extractEmbedded) option to get the rest of the data.  Because there may be a significant amount, especially in the case of an embedded geotrack (which is one of the main uses for the option), you probably don't want to run with this option all the time.

QuoteWarning                         : [minor] Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by -24?)

See FAQ #15.  In most cases this is caused by editing the file with a program that doesn't properly understand the EXIF format, so it shifts the position of the MakerNotes.  As you found, this can be fixed but it usually isn't likely to cause problems.  Some cameras write MakerNotes poorly, so it's possible to get this error directly from the camera.

These are all very minor issues.  You can use the -m (-ignoreMinorErrors) option to suppress these warnings.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

alex980029

Okay cool, Thank you!

So just confirming ignore the first one, use the command you sent through to fix the XMP data, and use "exiftool -F -exif:resolutionunit=inches image.jpg" to fix the maker notes?

Also is there no other way to fix the extract embedded warning to make it so it shows all the media data in the first place without having to display the warning?

StarGeek

Quote from: alex980029 on March 12, 2021, 12:17:47 AM
So just confirming ignore the first one, use the command you sent through to fix the XMP data,

That's one option.  As I said, you can ignore this condition.  And if you ever run the same program that did this in the first place on that file, it will creep back in.

Quoteand use "exiftool -F -exif:resolutionunit=inches image.jpg" to fix the maker notes?

Personally, I probably wouldn't do it.  Or at the very least, individual file by file, checking each time to make sure it worked correctly and having a complete backup before hand.  As the FAQ says, it's possible to permanently lose the MakerNotes.  And I wouldn't do it at all to a RAW file.

QuoteAlso is there no other way to fix the extract embedded warning to make it so it shows all the media data in the first place without having to display the warning?

As I listed, add the -ee option.  But also as I said, it could dramatically increase the amount of data listed.  For example, if you ran it on a 20 minute video with a geotrack that had a gps position 4 times/second, that would be some 10k lines of data.

And the -m option suppresses these minor warnings in the first place.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

alex980029

Okay cool thanks for all your help, appreciate it  :)

alex980029

Update - Just wanted to post an update to help others in the future viewing this forum

Idk how to post quotes :/ But anyway

I found if i removed the tag PNG:Title it seemed to fix the warning, must of been added from windows as I am now on mac.

Warning                         : [minor] Fixed incorrect URI for xmlns:MicrosoftPhoto

and for this one i found the tag xmp:dateacquired didn't match up with all the other dates e.g. datetimeoriginal and modifydate, so I corrected that and it seemed to fix the warning.

Warning                         : [minor] Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by -24?)

and StarGeek you were right these came directly off the camera so i left them be.

StarGeek

Quote from: alex980029 on March 13, 2021, 07:05:44 AM
Idk how to post quotes :/ But anyway

Select text and click the buttons above the posting box.

Best for example commands
Best for the results of running a command
QuoteQuoting previous posts

alex980029

Are you able to delete the whole of track 3 on a MOV file or does exiftool not allow that?

What does this warning mean, I found it on some large videos I have?

[ExifTool]      Warning                         : End of processing at large atom (LargeFileSupport not enabled)

StarGeek

Quote from: alex980029 on March 17, 2021, 06:09:27 PM
Are you able to delete the whole of track 3 on a MOV file or does exiftool not allow that?

Exiftool doesn't edit streams.  You'll want something like FFMpeg for that.

QuoteWhat does this warning mean, I found it on some large videos I have?

You can add -api LargeFileSupport=1 to allow processing.  Processing large files, more than 4 gigs (I think), are not supported by all systems.  It depends upon the Perl and C libraries. See here and here.

alex980029