Please help - How to export metadata of a folder of videos to a csv

Started by JustGiv, April 06, 2021, 05:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustGiv

Hello,

Thank you in advance for any help. I have been trying to figure this software out all day and have made no progress and I don't have that much time to get this done.

I have a folder of videos for which I want to extract the metadata.

I can make do with a txt file with all metadata info as I managed to extract what I needed from some txt I managed to get out of the software.

In a more ideal world, I would get the output as a CSV.

At this stage I can get some metadata by dragging the folder onto the exiftool icon and then copy the txt in the consol, but it only contains some of what was run. My attempts to open the software and enter code have failed as it opens to the info page and sometimes I can press Q to start writing but then I press enter and the window will disappear. This was after trying to follow the tutorials in the resources section of the website.

Thank you to anyone who can help and their time on this. I imagine it should be pretty straight forward, but I'm just not making progress with this.

Phil Harvey

This is maybe easiest to do by creating a .bat file containing this line:

c:\PATH_TO_EXIFTOOL\exiftool(-k).exe -csv %* > c:\SOME_FOLDER\out.csv

Then dragging and dropping the folder on the .bat file

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

JustGiv

Thank you so much for that Phil.

I created a bat file with a title and then that code in the next line followed by a pause command.

When I dropped the folder to run it came up with this...
Bat file for Exiftool use
'C:/.../exiftool' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again for your time on this

StarGeek

That error indicates that it can't find exiftool.  Make sure the path is correct, the filename is correct, and if there are spaces in the path, put the path in quotes.  Also, use backslashes for the path.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

JustGiv

Thanks, StarGeek

I checked the path and then noticed that the error still coming up stopped at the bracket in the directory name. So I removed the (-k) from the name and it worked!