Youtube 360 video crop - editing the metadata the answer?

Started by nickcobby, April 12, 2021, 03:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickcobby

Hi there, many thanks in advance for any help with this.

I am uploading a 360 video to Youtube, for viewing without a VR headset, just in the browser.
But Youtube automatically puts a crop on the video, cutting off lots of content, and requiring any viewer to initially zoom out to see the whole composition (by either pressing [ on the keyboard or pinching the touchpad.)

Is there a way to edit the metadata of the video file using exiftool to tell youtube to zoom out automatically and show the whole width of the video?

StarGeek

Please do not cross post the same post to multiple subforums.  One post is enough.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

nickcobby

No problem, sorry about that. Hopefully this doesn't put people off helping me with this issue.

I have come across these allowed global metadata elements:

InitialViewHeadingDegrees   
InitialViewPitchDegrees
InitialViewRollDegrees
Timestamp   
FullPanoWidthPixels
FullPanoHeightPixels
CroppedAreaImageWidthPixels   
CroppedAreaImageHeightPixels

But I am unsure if these would solve the issue - any thoughts appreciated!

StarGeek

Unfortunately, I can't help much here as I have no experience with the 360° videos.  Though I would suggest using the command in FAQ #3 so you can see both the groups that the tags belong to and any tags with duplicated names.

Also try searching these forums, as I know there have been previous posts about these videos before.  I'd suggest using Google with Site:Exiftool.org so as to limit the scope of the search to this website.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Cosmicvoid

Hello Nick!

I have crossed along the same issue regarding the cropping of the 360 video when I uploaded it to youtube or watch it in VLC for example.

I've been trying to find (unsucessfully until this point) a way to set the initial fov with a metadata injector funcionality like the exiftool has.

Did you have any luck in finding a solution?

Thank you in advance,

Best