News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

iphone exif data

Started by Roy75, April 16, 2021, 01:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy75

I emailed an image from my iphone11 to my laptop and then checked it using exiftool.  When I check the exif data on my phone I see all the details (created date, device make and model, gps etc). When I checked the image on my laptop using exiftool I see different exif info, the created date is only the date I sent the file, instead of device I see Profile CMM Type and Primary Plateform with both just state Apple Computer Inc. and there is no GPS data displayed.

Can someone please explain why I am not getting the complete exif data from my iphone images?
Thank you

Phil Harvey

It could be that when emailing images from your phone they are converted to a lower-resolution version.   If so, metadata was likely removed. Can you compare the original image size on your phone with the size of the file on your computer to see if it was changed?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Roy75

Thank you! Yes that appears to be the problem, the file size is reduced.