Wide character in print error

Started by StarGeek, April 29, 2021, 07:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarGeek

I downloaded the DNG from this post.  I then tried a -TagsFromFile copy to my test jpg. The resulting error below.

C:\>exiftool -P -overwrite_original -TagsFromFile Y:\!temp\dddd\IMG_20210417_162345.DNG y:\!temp\Test4.jpg
Warning: [Minor] Ignoring IFD0 GooglePlusUploadCode with excessive count - Y:\!temp\dddd\IMG_20210417_162345.DNG
Wide character in print at C:\Users\Bryan\AppData\Local\Temp\par-626b772d4d\cache-exiftool-12.25\inc\lib/Image/ExifTool/Writer.pl line 5189, <EXIFTOOL_FILE2> chunk 14.
Warning: Malformed UTF-8 character(s) - y:/!temp/Test4.jpg
    1 image files updated

To follow up, I attempted to clear out the data in the test file
exiftool -P -overwrite_original -all= y:\!temp\Test4.jpg
The file then became un-viewable.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Thanks for this report!  This will be fixed in version 12.26.

It was a bit tricky to fix because I wasted some time tracking down the other warnings.  It wasn't related to the malformed UTF-8 as it seemed.  Instead, it was a corrupted SceneType value that caused the wide character.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).