exifTool stopping with message "Terminating on signal SIGHUP(1)"

Started by calberga, July 09, 2021, 10:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calberga

I am running the command:

exiftool -ext jpg "-comment<$directory/$filename" -overwrite_original -F -r -P -v0 -charset cp1252 -charset filename=cp1252  "D:/P/Photographs/" > D:/P/x/Set-Comment.txt 2> "D:/P/X/Set-Comment-Errors.txt"

This has worked previously, but not it is halting with the the message:

Quote"Terminating on signal SIGHUP(1)"

What do I do now, doctor?

StarGeek

That's a new one on me.  Do you still get that if you run the command without the output redirects?  Does it stop on the same file every time or is it random?

I'm assuming Windows, are you using PowerShell or CMD?  Do you have any program running in the background that might force a program to shut down for taking too long/using too many resources?

I ran your command on a directory with 2,000 images and could not reproduce this problem.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Yes.  Break down the command to see what is causing the problem.  Start with this command and work up from there:

exiftool -ver

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

calberga

I'm running it on a directory on my D: drive, with over 80,000 files, with more than 77,000 .jpg files. 
I took six hours or more to hit the stop, on file 40,854. 
The same command ran with no problem on a slightly smaller data set on my C: drive.

Breaking it down is likely to take a week or so!  But I'll try.

First, though, I'll see what happens when I try it on the sub-directory that it failed on.  Be back with reports as I can get them.

calberga

In case it is relevant:

I'm running Windows 10, updates current.  The C: drive is an SSD with 450 GB free space, the D: a non-SSD with 1.29 TB free space.

Phil Harvey

It is possible that exiftool ran out of memory resources while processing such a large number of files, or there may be a single file that is causing too much memory to be used.

Generally this is only a problem on Windows, since the memory available on other systems is much larger.  I can't remember if the alternate Windows package has better memory handling, but this may be something else to try.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Also, if I recall correctly, running the pure Perl version can also avoid running out of memory problems on Windows
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).