Raw cr3 image not changed when setting new embedded images

Started by jeffbuzz, July 13, 2021, 06:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffbuzz

I am trying to embed new JpgFromRaw, PreviewImage and ThumbnailImage in a raw image.  The exiftool command runs and no error is shown.  But the target raw image is not changed.  There are no permissions issues.  I have full ownership of the directories and files.  Exiftool 12.29 is run from Windows 10 command line as administrator.

I used exiftool to extract the 3 embedded images, added text to each one to identify it and then saved each.  So I know the original raw contains those 3 tag names.  The new images are of the exact same dimensions as the extracted versions.

Is there a way to force more verbose output from exiftool to see if there is some error occurring?

My intent is to update raw image "89A2874.CR3" with a new embedded preview using "89A2874_PreviewImage.jpg" and so on per these commands.

C:\temp\altered_embedded_jpegs>exiftool "-PreviewImage<=89A2874_PreviewImage.jpg" 89A2874.CR3
    0 image files updated
    1 image files unchanged

C:\temp\altered_embedded_jpegs>exiftool "-PreviewImage<=89A2874_JpgFromRaw.jpg" 89A2874.CR3
    0 image files updated
    1 image files unchanged

C:\temp\altered_embedded_jpegs>exiftool "-PreviewImage<=89A2874_ThumbnailImage.jpg" 89A2874.CR3
    0 image files updated
    1 image files unchanged

Any assistance interpreting this would be appreciated.  I looks like exiftool is telling me it successfully did nothing.  is my syntax wrong?

Thank you.

Phil Harvey

CR3 is a QuickTime-based format.  In these files the PreviewImage is stored in a uuid box, which unfortunately isn't currently writable by ExifTool (see the QuickTime tags documentation to see which QuickTime tags are writable).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).