News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Output the invoked command line?

Started by handvprice, July 18, 2021, 02:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handvprice

I may be overlooking it, but is there a switch to have exiftool show the invoked command for read operations? I.E., "exiftool -ee3 -G3:1 image0001.jpg" in the output? Would be helpful when redirecting the output to a file, and then wondering if one had used all the switches one intended to...

Spectacularly powerful program!

TY.

StarGeek

I don't believe there's an option for this.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

You could duplicate the command in a -echo option:

exiftool -echo "exiftool ARGUMENTS" ARGUMENTS

But you will likely have some fun quoting quote characters...

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

handvprice

TY for the responses! I may try the echo idea, but I may just learn to note what command I'm using...

But maybe i can make a feature request suggestion for the switch for the future.

Phil Harvey

This is not a feature that I could reasonably add.  The quoting of arguments is handled by the shell, and exiftool couldn't present a reasonable command line because it doesn't know/care what shell you are running in.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).