News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

open source project to organize multimedia (photos, videos and audios)

Started by pedroreis, July 20, 2021, 11:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedroreis

Hi,

Is there any open source project to organize multimedia (photos, videos and audios) that you are aware of or even involved?

I just have some windows batches using ExifTool (to organize what comes from android , iphone , dedicated cameras) that organizes by folders of year > month > day.
I feel we should have a proper software that everyone could contribute to compound and keep the corner cases updated.

StarGeek

digiKam and DarkTable are just two examples of open source Digital asset management (DAM) programs, though I don't know offhand if they handle audio files.  DarkTable also has some exiftool integration with the latest version.

There are also DAMs more dedicated to large, multi-user projects. Programs you would run on a company's server rather than an individual computer.  Here's an example list of such DAMs.

A full DAM program would be outside the scope of this forum, a whole project unto itself.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Quote from: pedroreis on July 20, 2021, 11:14:33 AM
I feel we should have a proper software that everyone could contribute to compound and keep the corner cases updated.

ExifTool isn't proper software?  Everyone can contribute to ExifTool.  If you are a programmer, you can issue a pull request on the ExifTool code base:  https://github.com/exiftool/exiftool/

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

pedroreis

Quote from: Phil Harvey on July 20, 2021, 08:20:15 PM
Quote from: pedroreis on July 20, 2021, 11:14:33 AM

ExifTool isn't proper software?  Everyone can contribute to ExifTool.  If you are a programmer, you can issue a pull request on the ExifTool code base:  https://github.com/exiftool/exiftool/

- Phil

Hi Phil,

What I meant was to have a software (that should have a GUI) to help non developers to organize their personal multimedia.
Have you seen how people have their stuff on their PCs, laptops, external disks , smartphones and pendrives? Is a mess... Lots of duplicates
Graphically we could make easy fro people to use ExifTool capabilities and try to automatize some cases like when some heic comes from iphone use date from blabla, otherwise if importing jpg from android model Y from folder X use most old date you can find from list Z of date-types, otherwise if video from ...

E.g. I'm a developer but I didn't got some time to use ExifTool to do the use most old date thing, even finding 2 posts in the forum that describe some scripting to do that (but I didn't understood how and where to apply it or even what language is it). Things take time and my opinion is that we should save time for other people so they use their time saving time for us ;D

jbionic

Quote from: pedroreis on July 21, 2021, 06:12:51 PM
Have you seen how people have their stuff on their PCs, laptops, external disks , smartphones and pendrives? Is a mess... Lots of duplicates

As far as the search of file duplicates is concerned, there are special plugins in Total Commander and Far Manager that can help. In Far Manager the plugin is called  either Advanced Compare or AdvCmpExt(ended), there is also IntegrityChecker plugin, all of which use the hash sums to compare files. Piriform's CCleaner allows to find duplicates too (access via menu Tools -> Duplicate Finder).

With regards to ExifTool, I'd agree that it lacks a lot of functionality, including GUI to make its use more friendly.  However my personal biggest concern is about cloud-services to enable sharing and search of meta-tagged media, because neither of the ones that I'd know seems to be working satisfactory (starting from Google Photos etc). But apparently this concern has nothing to do with ExifTool, because ExifTool serves a different and more basic purpose.