Cannot update time settings for .fff Hasselblad rawfiles

Started by AgBr, August 21, 2021, 12:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AgBr

I have tried to search for answers to this question online but haven't found any explanations that seem to apply, except for the fact that ExifTool should be able to handle Hasselblad rawfiles.

1) Using the "Phocus" software, I imported a number of photos from a Hasselblad camera, so the .3FR files were converted to .FFF files

2) From a photo of a watch screen, I discovered that the camera's clock was 59 minutes and 10 seconds behind, and that this amount of time therefore needed to be added to all imported photos

3) In Terminal on my Mac, I changed to the directory with all the imported photos that needed to be corrected

4) I then typed the following command:
-DateTimeOriginal+='0:0:0 0:59:10' .

5) For each processed photo, I got this error message:
Phocus may not properly update previews of edited FFF images - ./filename.fff

6) At the end of the process, I got the message that no files had been modified, which I was able to confirm by opening Phocus and checking the exif data.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to solve the problem?

Many thanks in advance!

StarGeek

If you check on the Supported File Types Table, you'll see that Hasselblad Flexible File Format has note #6 by it, which reads
     Only writable when ignoring minor errors due to Phocus incompatibility

So try adding the -m (-ignoreMinorErrors) option.  But make sure you have a proper backup first.

See also Known Problems.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

AgBr

Thanks, very helpful! I had unfortunately not paid attention to the footnote in the compatibility table.

I still have the original .3FR files on the camera's memory card, so in that sense I have backups.

I tried adding the -m option to the command:

-m -DateTimeOriginal+='0:0:0 0:59:10' .

and I don't get the error message anymore. At the end of the process, I am told that all the files in the directory have been modified. However, nothing has changed when I check the photos again in Phocus. Maybe this is simply an incompatibility of .FFF files in ExifTool?

[UPDATE] the original photos have now been renamed with "original" in the name and new copies have been created by ExifTool but no changes to the exif data have happened.

StarGeek

Quote from: AgBr on August 21, 2021, 03:18:56 PMHowever, nothing has changed when I check the photos again in Phocus. Maybe this is simply an incompatibility of .FFF files in ExifTool?

Check with exiftool to see if the data has changed.  If exiftool says it has changed and Phocus does not, then Phocus most likely hasn't read the new metadata.  Check to see if there's an option to reload metadata.  If there isn't one, you may have to remove and re-import the files in Phocus.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

AgBr

Exiftool shows that the metadata *has* changed. When I do a:

exiftool -common filename.fff

the time stamp has been corrected by the time I indicated in the -DateTimeOriginal command.

It therefore seems to be a Phocus-related problem. Unless I am mistaken, Phocus 1) does not have an option to re-load exif data, and 2) only .3FR files can be "imported" (thereby being converted to .FFF) whereas all other formats are simply recognised/read by Phocus when you select the relevant folder. So, I cannot make a new import of a collection of (Exiftool modified) .FFF files.

I did try to import the files that had been modified by Exiftool into Lightroom instead, but the modified data was not shown there either.

Thanks for taking the time to help!