XMP2EXIF writes the value from "exif:software" only to IFD1 and not to IFD0

Started by Travels, September 29, 2021, 05:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travels

I have Sony ARW files with "exif:software" values for both IFD0 and IFD1. In my case both values are "DSC-RX100M3 v2.00". My Raw Converter (DxO PhotoLab3) needs the IFD0 value for choosing the correct profile for its geometric corrections etc.
When I use my DAM "Photools iMatch 2021" the data from its database is rewritten to the ARW file using XMP2EXIF (from EXIFTool 12.2.9.0) as iMatch developer Mario told me.
After that only the "exif:software" value for IFD1 is present in the ARW file. As there is no more "exif:software" value for IFD0, DxO PhotoLab does not make its geometric corrections etc.
This didn't happened some months ago when I used iMatch 2019 with an older EXIFTool version (11.6.2.0).
1. Is this new(?) behaviour (not writing exif:software IFD0) by intention?
2. To fix this issue: Can someone please write the command line which copies the value from exif:software IFD1 to exif:software IFD0?  I'm newbie ...
Thanks for any help in advance!
Martin
------------------------------------------------------
Windows 10 — EXIFTool 12.2.9.0 via iMatch2021

StarGeek

Just to be clear, you are using the command from FAQ #3 to see all data, including duplicates?

To fix it, try this on a test file
exiftool "-ifd0:software<ifd1:software" file.arw

If you want, you can edit the XMP2EXIF.args file by changing the line
-EXIF:Software < -XMP-xmp:CreatorTool
into
-IFD0:Software < -XMP-xmp:CreatorTool
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Hi Martin,

This is what I get:

> Image-ExifTool-12.29/exiftool a.arw -software -a -G1
[IFD0]          Software                        : DSC-RX100M3 v1.00
[IFD1]          Software                        : DSC-RX100M3 v1.00
> Image-ExifTool-12.29/exiftool a.arw -software=test
Warning: [minor] Entries in SubIFD were out of sequence. Fixed. - a.arw
    1 image files updated
> Image-ExifTool-12.29/exiftool a.arw -software -a -G1
[IFD0]          Software                        : test
[IFD1]          Software                        : DSC-RX100M3 v1.00

I don't have a v2.00 file to test this with, but I expect the results would be the same.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Travels

Thanks both of you for your help!
As suggested I changed
-EXIF:Software < XMP-xmp:CreatorTool
into
-IFD0:Software < XMP-xmp:CreatorTool

(no "-" before "XMP" as in post#2!)
in the XMP2EXIF.args that iMatch uses.
Now I have my values in both IFD0 and IFD1 and DxO PhotoLab3 and me are happy again!

Travels

I just tried another solution:
In the XMP2EXIF.args file (last edited by PH on 2018/05/07) which was provided with iMatch I removed the "-" before "XMP" in the line
-EXIF:Software < -XMP-xmp:CreatorTool
It worked for me ...

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).