ExifTool C++ Interface download of tar.gz - file not possible

Started by jacky, October 15, 2021, 01:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacky

Hi,

I'd like to download C++ Interface but on all my systems it's not possible to get the tar.gz - file:
http://exiftool.org/cpp_exiftool/cpp_exiftool.tar.gz
It seems nothing happens if I click on the link.

Could you check if download of the tar.gz - file is possible? Or is there another resource available?

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Same here.

Check to see if your web browser isn't automatically saving the file for you without telling you.  On Windows I believe this is usually the "Downloads" folder.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Alan Clifford

It's only 25 kB.  Are you sure it didn't just download but you missed seeing anything because it was so quick?

greybeard

This is probably a browser problem - are you using Chrome? If so try something else.

jacky

Sorry for confusion, it's strange:

Business Laptop (with some internet restrictions):
- Chrome: Nothing happens when I click the link
- Edge: I get a hint, that download doesn't work correctly. But isn't the latest Edge == Chrome? Although there isn't any exe-file in tar.gz it seems to be restricted.

Smartphone Android 11 Chrome-Browser with mobile internet: Nothing happens on click

Private Laptop (without internet restrictions):
- Firefox: Yes, it works.
- Edge: Works.

It was confusing that nothing happened when I clicked the link (especially on Android 11 without any restrictions).
Therefore I thought that the download file is not accessible or corrupted and I wrote in this forum.

Thanks for fast response!

By the way, did someone already try to use cpp_exiftool in Visual C++ 2019 yet?
On github at ExifToolCppVS-Wrapper I read that it's not possible  because of unix headers:
https://github.com/Mihaylov93/ExifToolCppVS-Wrapper/blob/master/README.md
This wrapper should work but I'm not sure if effort is worth to implement.
Until now exiftool binary already does what I need under Win10. The only thing could be that C++ - Version is faster instead of _system("exiftool.exe ......") - calls in Visual Studio.

StarGeek

Quote from: jacky on October 19, 2021, 04:40:47 AM
The only thing could be that C++ - Version is faster instead of _system("exiftool.exe ......") - calls in Visual Studio.

This isn't a C++ version of exiftool.  It's simply a wrapper that runs exiftool in the background using the -stay_open option.  It's not going to be any faster unless you are calling exiftool once for every file, which is Common Mistake #3.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).