exiftool will not run under linux - sortof

Started by MrVideo, November 03, 2021, 06:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrVideo

I installed version 12.34, previous version 11.86. Installed location: /usr/local/src/Image-ExifTool-12.34

If I am in the installed directory, exiftool will indeed run.

But, I have the following configured in /usr/local/bin:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  root        44 Nov  3 04:53 exiftool -> /usr/local/src/Image-ExifTool-12.34/exiftool

Under version 11.86 the path where exiftool is started was found. But, I noticed that how the start path is now detected is different, breaking the ability to find the starting path the way I have it linked. When I change the two lines at the beginning that deal with $exeDir, back to v11.86, the program works.

Leave it me to install this way, such that exiftool doesn't detect the path.  I do this for a bunch of programs and, so far, this is the only one that doesn't like it.

Phil Harvey

Wow.  This is a bit of a faux pas.  Thanks for reporting this.  It will be fixed in 12.35

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

MrVideo

Thanks

Does this mean that not finding the .ExifTool.cofig file will get fixed as well?

Phil Harvey

I just tested this, and the new version will find the config file in the directory of the link target.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).