Exiftool install on Heroku

Started by rob8624, February 20, 2022, 08:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob8624

Hi, wonder if anyone can help me.

I have a Django site that is highly dependant on Exiffield, this obviously requires Exiftools to by install on the server but I just cannot get it to work on Heroku.

I have tried using the Buildpacks available but none seem to work. Looking at my Heroku log, it installs Exiftools but then fails on release. Can anyone offer any input?

StarGeek

There's not much help I can offer except to try and install it manually.  If the Unix install instructions don't work, then see if Perl is available to your command line and figure out where it will allow you to install Perl libraries.  There should be a /lib/ directory available.  Extract the main exiftool archive and drop it's copy the directories in it's /lib/ into that directory. 
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

StarGeek

After seeing your StackOverflow question, it seems most likely that exiftool's location hasn't been added to the PATH that your programs sees.  Try moving it around or fixing the PATH.

And defiantly use a newer version of exiftool.  That output seems to indicate it's using version 9.40, which was released Nov. 16, 2013.  There have been 300 updates since then.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

rob8624

Thanks for the help StarGeek. Yea, just slightly outdated then! It's the first time i'm deploying as I am new to development so just following the readme to install the buildpacks, not sure how I would install current?

I'm unsure how to alter PATH settings to  be honest, also, i don't think you can manually install onto Heroku.

rob8624

Well this seems to work.

Using this buildpack  https://github.com/velizarn/heroku-buildpack-exiftool and pointing it to this location  https://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/distfiles.macports.org/perl5/Image-ExifTool-11.35.tar.gz

Just like to say what an awesome piece of work it is so many thanks to all that put in the effort!