Forum email notifications are broken

Started by Phil Harvey, June 09, 2022, 09:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

Gmail has changed their SMTP security policy and the forum emails are no longer working.

So until I fix this the forum notifications are broken.  Also, new members are no longer required to respond to an activation email.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Google has been a real pain in the past couple months with regards to email.  I've had a mailing list when friends for over 15 years using Dreamhost and Mailman.  First, Gmail started randomly bouncing emails from the list.  No pattern, just sometimes and sometimes not.  Something about "authentication checks".  I try changing some settings and after that, Gmail just stops delivering to some of the people.  No bounce or other warning. The email just isn't delivered to some of the people.  I try and change the settings back and now it isn't working at all.

It's really damn annoying.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Apparently on April 31 gmail was going to disable "less secure apps" sending via SMTP.  There are work-arounds, but I haven't had time to try all of this yet:

https://wpmailsmtp.com/gmail-less-secure-apps/

Presumably it was this change that broke the forum emails on June 7.

The dreamhost help page suggests using OAuth 2.0 or enabling "less secure apps".  I was doing the latter because I don't know how to do the former, but maybe I'll have to look into this too:

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001719551-Troubleshooting-GMAIL-SMTP-authentication-errors

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on June 10, 2022, 11:19:22 AMenabling "less secure apps".  I was doing the latter because I don't know how to do the former, but maybe I'll have to look into this too:

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001719551-Troubleshooting-GMAIL-SMTP-authentication-errors

:(
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Phil Harvey

I'm not sure if forum mails are working again.  I made a change a while back to try to use the dreamhost SMTP server.  I didn't think it was working, but I'm getting occasional forum emails now (notifications of PM's).  However, I haven't yet re-enabled the forum-registration email verification, which I could presumably do if this really is working.

- Phil