News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

FujiFilm Drive Mode

Started by greybeard, July 26, 2022, 10:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greybeard

I'm afraid we may be going backwards here.

With the FujiFilm X-H2S it no longer seems possible to use tag 0x1103 to differentiate between Continuous Low and Continuous High.

The first byte still decodes to the drive speed but the other three bytes appear to be the same for both low and high.

Examples are :
0x00000000 for single drive mode
0x05020302 for continuous low at 5fps
0x08020302 for continuous low at 8fps
0x0f020302 for continuous high at 15fps
0x1e020302 for continuous high at 30fps

Exiftool currently decodes Drive Mode as "Continuous High" in all cases where drive speed is greater than zero.

I've checked all the other tags and there doesn't seem to be anything else that could be used as a replacement.

Its not even possible to use the frame rate to differentiate (without a lot of complexity) as the cross-over between low and high is camera specific.

So the Drive Speed tag still appears to be correct but Drive Mode may be wrong.

Perhaps it should be changed to "Continuous" where tag 0x1103 is greater than zero (and keep "Single" where 0x1103 is zero)

Phil Harvey

Thanks.  I don't know what to do about this.  I don't want to change everything to say only "Continuous" because there is additional information there that is valid for other models.  For now I'll just leave this, but put a comment in the code that it doesn't work for the X-H2S.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

greybeard

OK fair enough - on my web site I've taken the conservative approach and use Continuous in all cases and let the user figure out if its low or high from the drive speed (and their knowledge of the specific camera model)