mp4 sample description errors are blocking tag edits

Started by zeveron3, August 06, 2022, 06:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeveron3

First off, exiftool is awesome, so thanks!

I've been having a little trouble with editing tags in google pixel videos:

exiftool -Rating=4 ~/Downloads/PXL_20220804_213452437.LS.mp4

Error: No data reference for sample description 0 for Track2- /home/user/Downloads/PXL_20220804_213452437.LS.mp4
    0 image files updated
    1 files weren't updated due to errors

System: Linux
exiftool -ver = 12.40

There are a bunch of "Sample Duration" and "Sample Time" tags that show up when you just dump all the tags, but I'm not sure if these are relevant.

I've attached a small video clip as an example if anyone wants to dig in deeper (and see my cute kid).

Thanks!

StarGeek

Possibly fixed in ver 12.41
* Patched to allow writing of MP4 videos which have other tracks with a missing sample description entry

I'm using 12.42 and it writes to you example file without a problem.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

zeveron3

I can confirm, this is already fixed in the latest version.

Mmmm foot -- pro-tip: look at history and not just assume you're up to date using your linux software update manager. Thanks again for the awesome tool and your help StarGeek!

mread

I am using ExifTool 12.50 and have this same problem with two .mp4 files from a Pixel 6 Pro.  I have tweaked the dates and am writing the file from within a Perl script: $res= $exifTool->WriteInfo($fname,$newFileName);

The error message {my $msg = $exifTool->GetValue('Error');} is:
"No data reference for sample description 0 for Track1"

This on Cygwin64 on a Windows-10 system.

Could the bug have crept back in since version 12.42?

Link to the file in question: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OS5fuNHjt9mdC2WyV5_Wq6ZyARWpyFza/view?usp=sharing

Phil Harvey

Writing this file works with ExifTool 12.50 from the command line:

> exiftool ~/Desktop/20221029_005338521.mp4 -o tmp -createdate=now
    1 image files created

Are you sure you are using 12.50 from within your script?  Can you reproduce this from the command line with the exiftool 12.50 app?  If so, what command exactly?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

mread

You are right.  Command line was 12.50 but script was still using older version because Install had failed.

After fixing the installation the script now works as expected.

THANKS!