dates are different between ExifTool and Windows Properties

Started by MayHare, August 08, 2022, 08:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MayHare

For example, when I view the metadata of a video file using exiftool, all create dates are 7/12/2022 23:59:59. However, when I right click the same video file and view its metadata from Property-Details, Media Created date is 7/12/2022 6:59PM, which is a time that does not exist in the exiftool metadata. Does anyone know why this happens?

Phil Harvey

Try adding -api quicktimeutc to the command.

Devices are inconsistent about whether or not they write video timestamps in UTC, and by default ExifTool assumes local time which could be wrong for your videos.  See the API QuickTimeUTC option for an explanation.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

MayHare

Quote from: Phil Harvey on August 08, 2022, 09:24:54 PMTry adding -api quicktimeutc to the command.

Devices are inconsistent about whether or not they write video timestamps in UTC, and by default ExifTool assumes local time which could be wrong for your videos.  See the API QuickTimeUTC option for an explanation.

- Phil

Thank you for your help! I have a followup question. After adding the QuickTimeUTC option, the data displayed in Properties is correct. However, when I view using exiftool, TrackCreateDate, TrackModifyDate, MediaCreateDate, and MediaModifyDate have been adjusted to 2022:07:13 04:59:59, while Date/Time Original, CreateDate and ModifyDate remained on 2022:07:12 23:59:59. Is there any way to adjust the former dates?

StarGeek

You would do it the same way, though you can shorten the command by using wildcards
exiftool -api QuickTimeUTC -Track*Date="2022:07:12 18:59:59" -Media*Date="2022:07:12 18:59:59" file.mp4
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).