Change photo creation to arbitrary date

Started by 30west, August 18, 2022, 08:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

30west

I have really tried to find the answer to this by searching the entire forum, but have not found what I am looking for. In short, I have hundreds of photos that are scans of old photos and carry a "creation date" of when they were scanned. For example, a couple hundred show 2019 as year created, but I want to change them all to 1955. Other folders would be re-dated per my best guess of when they were shot. I am embarrassed to ask to be "spoon fed" the correct syntax, but the examples I have found do not solve my issue. Using MACOS Monterrey...Thanks in advance...

wywh

Move to the folder where the images you want to modify are and then set their metadata date:

Set DateTimeOriginal to Any Arbitrary Timestamp:

exiftool -m -P -overwrite_original_in_place '-DateTimeOriginal=1955:01:01 12:00:00' .

Or, better yet, Set AllDates (DateTimeOriginal, CreateDate, and ModifyDate) to Any Arbitrary Timestamp:

exiftool -m -P -overwrite_original_in_place '-AllDates=1955:01:01 12:00:00' .

If you want also the file dates the same, then do also this (notice that years before 1970 might not show correctly, though):

exiftool -m -overwrite_original_in_place '-FileCreateDate<ExifIFD:DateTimeOriginal' '-FileModifyDate<ExifIFD:DateTimeOriginal' .

I'd also set the filename to reflect the date (I use YYYY-MMDD-hhmm-ss.*):

exiftool -fileOrder FileName '-FileName<DateTimeOriginal' -d '%Y-%m%d-%H%M-%S%%+2nc.%%e' .

I usually use GraphicConverter's browser to set these kind of datetimes and filenames via a GUI with certain intervals (1-10 minutes between scanned images) so you might want to check it.

30west

thanks for all of that info...including the potential use of Graphic Converter. Using MACOS Monterrey 12.5.1, when I run the tool, it reports that it has updated the file(s). Looking at the Finder "Info", it shows that "Content Created" has changed to the new value, so I think that solves my issue...which is that different photo cataloging apps seems to use different values for sorting and Apple Photos seems to  be very unmanageable without modifying these dates.

I look forward to experimenting with Graphic Converter...so thanks again.