Grouping images by GPS geotags

Started by moroznah, September 28, 2022, 11:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moroznah

Hi!

I'm looking for a way to group photos from drone SD cards into different folders, hopefully using exiftool.

After surveying multiple sites on a single card, all jpg main cam and thermal photos are in random DCIM subfolders numbered 10XMEDIA (hello DJI). Sorting them by size using some bash and moving into two separate folders for photo and radiometric is trivial. So i end up having a bunch of smth like 2022-09-28-091249_DJI_0591_T.JPG in two separate folders.

Now, looking for a way to group images into different folders by geographic site. I see two ways of doing this:
1) Based on GPS geotags. Define for ex. an area or max distance for multiple images say 100 meters, and move all matching the criteria into a separate folder.
2) Based on timeseries. If creation date of next photo does not differ from previous for more then say 300 seconds, group them into a single folder. Once it is more, create a new folder and repeat.
Is there a way to leverage exiftool gps tag reading functionality to do this, hopefully without dealing with bash arrays?

Thank you!

Phil Harvey

ExifTool will extract the information you need, but it won't automatically move images to files based on the criteria you mention -- you'll need to write some sort of smart script to do this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).