FastStone Max with ExifTool GUI?

Started by KenO, April 14, 2010, 10:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KenO

Reading ExifTool GUI FAQ noticed mention of use of FS Max for RAW images.  This would be much better for me since FS Max works with a wider range of  Older Windows. Sys Req Windows 98SE, ME, NT, 2000, XP (32-bit and 64-bit), 2003...

Have not yet found a reference to setting ET GUI Preferences to use FS Max?  Did I miss it?

Thanks

Ken

BogdanH

FastStone Max and FastPictureViewer serve different purpose. FastStone is (only) image viewer, able to show embedded jpg images (which reside inside raw files). That is, FastStone is similar to (poor) Win Picture and Fax viewer. That is, FastStone is used/opened only when you double-click on registerd image/raw file.

FastPictureViewer is Windows shell/explorer extender (image codec in this case), which generates "thumbnails" from embedded jpg images inside raw (Note: term "thumbnail" doesn't neccessary mean small image). As mentioned somewhere, GUI will only show images which Windows is capable to deliver... and in case of raw images, on request, FastPictureViewer delivers those images (as thumbnails) to Windows. Meaning: GUI request images from Windows and doesn't care who/what actually created those images... I hope this makes sense to you  :)

Bogdan