News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

System:FileCreateDate from Exif:CreateDate

Started by Kerni, October 28, 2022, 04:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerni

Hello,
I'm not really experienced with command line, so I use your programm with the GUI.
I guess I do everything right, but the result is not what expected.

I use the "Exiftool direct" Button with the command line:
-filecreatedate<createdate

After "Enter to execute" the Log windows shows 1 file updaed, but the FileCreateDate is still as before.
Do I have to use some more strings to get the needed result?

Many thanks
Kerni

StarGeek

Standard disclaimer: The ExifToolGUI no longer has support of it's author, as detailed in the stickied ExifToolGUI currently unsupported thread at the top of this forum.

What exactly are you using to view the data and is showing the same date as before?

You might need to put quotes around the what you type in Direct
"-filecreatedate<createdate"

You might also need to refresh the file.  For example, Windows Properties does not update automatically.  You need to close the window and reopen it.  I'm not sure if refreshing is needed for the GUI.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Kerni

Many thanks for your fast reply - great forum here :-)

It's a bit confusing for me, meanwhile I guess the problem isn't the GUI or the ExifTool.

If I use the command line for a few testfiles on "C:\Test" everything ist fine and the FileCreateDate changes now.
But if I use the same command on a "Network drive", everything except the FileCreateDate, FileModifyDate and FileAccessDate will work - all other Exif-Tags are fine.
First I thought there is something wrong with the user-permissions, but if so the other Exif won't work, too.
Strange ?!?

For the moment there is nothing to request with your software.
Thanks again
Kerni

StarGeek

What kind of "Network Drive".

I believe Synology has some background programs running that will revert certain changes.  Search these forums for "synology".

I did have this Reddit post in my notes, but I'm pretty sure there are similar posts here.  It was something about the Drive app reverting changes.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).