Suggestion for Inverse Geotagging command

Started by StarGeek, March 22, 2023, 03:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarGeek

In answering a question on reddit, it hit me that the example Inverse Geotagging command might be better written using the -w (-TextOut) option/-W (-tagOut) option

One example for videos which would write an individual file for each video
exiftool -p gpx.fmt -ee3 -w %d%f.gps FILE [...]

And one for a single geo track from multiple files
exiftool -p gpx.fmt -ee3 -W+! %dout.gps FILE [...]
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

Thanks for thinking about this.

The example I gave is the inverse of the ExifTool -geotag feature which tags individual images from a single track log.

Your first command is another possible use for this feature.

Your second command is another way to implement my example, but I think it is a bit harder to understand.

Given that I don't want to confuse people with multiple examples, I think it may be best left as is.

- Phil

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: Phil Harvey on March 22, 2023, 03:41:26 PMGiven that I don't want to confuse people with multiple examples, I think it may be best left as is.

Sounds good.  I'm adding these to my notes in case the specific situation comes up again.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).