Modifying Tags with csv file as an input not working

Started by baumaeschi, March 27, 2023, 06:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baumaeschi

Hallo everybody

I am trying to modify 'DateTimeOriginal' of jpg files located in different subdirectories.
As an input to exiftool I want to use a csv table.
My platform is Windows 10.

My exiftool command: exiftool "-csv=tag_modify_list.csv" -v2 -ext jpg FotMaSu

The Output for filenames or pathnames with special characters (in my case Ä or ä) is eg:
Imported entry for 'C:/Users/aesch/Desktop/FotoSamples/FotMaSu/FotSusa/Ältere/Nokia und Samsung/Nokia/DSC00022.jpg' (non-existent file)The output for files/paths without special characters is eg:
Imported entry for 'C:/Users/aesch/Desktop/FotoSamples/FotMaSu/FotMar/2022/Familie 2022/JAZW0467.JPG' (full path: 'c:/users/aesch/desktop/fotosamples/fotmasu/fotmar/2022/familie 2022/jazw0467.jpg')And at the end of processing I get the Info:
    1 directories scanned
   0 image files read
I know I am fighting with special characters, probably character sets (UTF, DOS,..) or lower/upper case letters.
But at the moment I'm absolutely clueless about what else I could try.
I'm attaching the complete csv file and the complete output of exiftool after execution

Phil Harvey

Quote from: baumaeschi on March 27, 2023, 06:12:49 AM   1 directories scanned
   0 image files read

ExifTool found the FotMaSu directory but didn't find any "jpg" files in that directory.  Add the -r option if you want it to also search subdirectories.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

baumaeschi

Hi Phil

Thank you for your tip with the -r option.
I thought if the csv "SourceFile" column contains the absolute paths of all files, the -r option is not necessary.

But now I have a new problem. Only 26 out of 33 Files were updated. Since the FotMaSu directory contains > 5000 files, I cannot identify the files that were updated and which not (because of the -r option the output of exiftool -csv="tag_modify_list.csv" -ext jpg -r FotMaSu is too long)

Question 1a: Is there an option to have a summary of successful and unsuccessful updates?
Question 1b: If answer to 1a=no: Can I redirect the output to a file and search for relevant lines?

And, as mentioned in the initial question, I have problems with the character set.
I use exiftool on Windows 10. Excel allows me to save a CSV in three formats: UTF-8, Macintosh and MS-DOS.

For my trial I used MS-DOS. But I should probably use UTF-8 format and then use a -charset option in the command line.

Question 2: What is your recommendation for this character set problem on Windows 10?
(in order to have a readable CSV file I had to use the -charset cp850 option when writing tags to a CSV)

- Martin

Phil Harvey

Quote from: baumaeschi on March 28, 2023, 04:14:00 AMI thought if the csv "SourceFile" column contains the absolute paths of all files, the -r option is not necessary.

The files to process are specified on the command line, not in the CSV file.  The CSV is just a database of tags to set for each processed file.

But now I have a new problem. Only 26 out of 33 Files were updated. Since the FotMaSu directory contains > 5000 files, I cannot identify the files that were updated and which not (because of the -r option the output of exiftool -csv="tag_modify_list.csv" -ext jpg -r FotMaSu is too long)

QuoteQuestion 1a: Is there an option to have a summary of successful and unsuccessful updates?

No, but you can get a list of files that weren't changed due to errors or otherwise by adding -efile3 out.txt to the command (file names are written to out.txt).

QuoteQuestion 1b: If answer to 1a=no: Can I redirect the output to a file and search for relevant lines?

Yes, add > out.txt to the end of the command.

QuoteQuestion 2: What is your recommendation for this character set problem on Windows 10?

I would recommend not using special characters in file/directory names, and using UTF-8 for any tag values.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).