Can't change the "last modified" value to the one in "created date" on PDF

Started by ytreza12345, October 29, 2023, 05:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytreza12345

Hi there,
I'm having trouble using a command line to modify the "last modified" value to the one in "created" on a PDF file.

Basicaly, i'm using this line :
Quoteexiftool "-FileModifyDate<CreateDate"
and i drag and drop the PDF file.

the command copy the file and change the "CreatedDate" value to the one of "FileModifyDate", resulting in the opposite of what I want. It also change the name of the file by adding "_orignial" at the end.

I'm kinda bad with this and couldn't find an anwser for my problem so here I am !

StarGeek

What are you using to look at the timestamps?  Also, what OS are you using?

The command you list will copy the CreateDate in the file to the file system modify date.  It won't copy it into the embedded CreateDate but if you're not using exiftool to see the data, then you are probably looking at the wrong tags

Double check with exiftool with this command (variation on the command in FAQ #3)
exiftool -time:all -G1 -a -s file.pdf

If you are on a Mac, then there are more file system timestamps.  Add the -API RequestAll option to see the additional tags
exiftool -time:all -G1 -a -s -api RequestAll=2 file.pdf

The _original file is the backup file (see second paragraph after Description in the docs).  You can suppress the creation of the backupfile with the -overwrite_original option.

If you're on the Mac, then you might want to use the -overwrite_original_in_place option, as some of the Mac specific file system tags (MDItem*/XAttr*) would otherwise be lost.  This does take longer, though.

The edits exiftool makes to PDF files are reversible, as it uses an increment update (see this Foxit page for details). To make the changes permanent, the file must be re-linearized.  See the PDF Tags page for details.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

ytreza12345

Hi,

Thanks for your quick and precious anwser.
I'm actually on OSX, you got it right.

I'm gonna try to find the tag/timestamp.