new tag value is not updated

Started by jeffbuzz, February 23, 2024, 02:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffbuzz

I am trying to update the Artist tag value on a file.  When I execute the command, exiftool shows the file was updated.  But if I then check the new file, it still contains the old value.

PS C:\utils\exiftool-12.76> .\exiftool.exe -*Artist C:\temp\2018-01-19\2018-01-19_1708__DSF0377.RAF
Artist                          : OLD NAME
PS C:\utils\exiftool-12.76> .\exiftool.exe -Artist="New Name" -v2 C:\temp\2018-01-19\2018-01-19_1708__DSF0377.RAF
Writing PNG:Artist
Writing Keys:Artist if tag exists
Writing UserData:Artist if tag exists
Writing ItemList:Artist
Writing Pentax:Artist if tag exists
Writing XMP-tiff:Artist if tag exists
Writing XMP-xmpDM:Artist if tag exists
Writing IFD0:Artist
Writing IFD0:Artist if tag exists
======== C:/temp/2018-01-19/2018-01-19_1708__DSF0377.RAF
Rewriting C:/temp/2018-01-19/2018-01-19_1708__DSF0377.RAF...
  Editing tags in: APP0 APP1 CIFF ExifIFD IFD0 ItemList JFIF Keys MakerNotes PNG UserData XMP
  Creating tags in: APP1 IFD0 ItemList PNG
JPEG APP1 (12568 bytes)
  Rewriting IFD0
    - IFD0:Artist = 'New Name'
    + IFD0:Artist = 'New Name'
  Rewriting ExifIFD
  Rewriting MakerNoteFujiFilm
  Rewriting PrioritySettings
  Rewriting FocusSettings
  Rewriting AFCSettings
  Rewriting DriveSettings
  Rewriting InteropIFD
  Rewriting IFD1
JPEG DHT (416 bytes)
JPEG DQT (130 bytes)
JPEG DRI (2 bytes)
JPEG SOF0:
JPEG SOS
    1 image files updated
PS C:\utils\exiftool-12.76> .\exiftool.exe -*Artist C:\temp\2018-01-19\2018-01-19_1708__DSF0377.RAF
Artist                          : OLD NAME

The file is not read-only and I have admin rights on the folder.

I am deleting the "2018-01-19_1708__DSF0377.RAF_original" file before each new attempt.

Any suggestions as to why the tag value is not being changed?

Phil Harvey

If ExifTool says the file was updated, then it was.

This is FAQ 3

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Using the FAQ #3 command as suggested, my guess is that you will find a second Artist tag, most likely in IFD1:Artist.

Because this is not the main location for this tag, you will have to be specific when writing it.
exiftool -IFD1:Artist="New Name" /path/to/files/

Or you could delete it, leaving only the main Artist tag
exiftool -IFD1:Artist= /path/to/files/
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

@StarGeek:  I tried this myself but IFD0:Artist takes precedence when reading (from my sample file anyway).  If you have a sample where IFD1:Artist takes precedence, send it to me.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Good to know.  I was just making assumptions as the usual problem in these cases is the wrong IFD.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

greybeard

Quote from: Phil Harvey on February 23, 2024, 11:40:04 AM@StarGeek:  I tried this myself but IFD0:Artist takes precedence when reading (from my sample file anyway).  If you have a sample where IFD1:Artist takes precedence, send it to me.

- Phil

I just tried it with a random Fujifilm RAF file and IFD1 took precedence

Phil Harvey

Ah, thanks.  The RAF IFD priorities are different.  I'll think about changing this.

- Phil