atom is too large for rewriting

Started by msg43, February 29, 2024, 09:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msg43

Quote from: Phil Harvey on December 17, 2019, 10:32:39 AMI've just released ExifTool 11.80.  This version should allow you to write MP4 videos which have a bit of garbage at the end, using the -m option.

Hi, thanks so much for your amazing contribution to the world! 

I have run into this "atom is too large for rewriting" error for hundreds of files I am working with. 
I also have the "Truncated" error. 
I have tried using the -m option but it doesn't change the output. 

Before I go immerse myself in FFMPEG is there anything else you would suggest? 

Thanks Again!

Matt

StarGeek

Are you using an up to date version of exiftool?  The original topic you posted too was for a version that is nearly 100 updates behind the current one.

Try adding the -api LargeFileSupport option to your command.

If that still doesn't work, copy/paste the exact output from the file for your command.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

greybeard

Looks like there is a hard coded 100MB limit - the message should give the actual size that was found.

Phil Harvey

Could you give the exact error message?  It could be useful to know what atom this is, or whether it is just garbage.  Also, the error does give the actual size of the atom.

My guess is that if I remove or increase this limit then you will just end up with a different error: "Truncated xxx atom"

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).