-IPTC:TimeCreated time zone

Started by dwlott, March 09, 2024, 04:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwlott

Please help me understand where ExifTool finds the timezone for the -IPTC:TimeCreated tag. 

ExifTool appends the timezone to IPTC:TimeCreated after an increment time command. I want to understand where the timezone value comes from.

Reading -IPTC:TimeCreated, the value returned value is 10:20:50

I am using this command to increment the time by 5 hours.
-IPTC:TimeCreated+="05:00:00"
After the command, I see the value returned is 15:20:50-05:00. -05:00 is the Florida time zone, and now that it shows up, I need a second command to change the timezone to France +01:00.

I tried the following command in hopes of repairing the time and timezone simultaneously, but it only changed the time. 
-IPTC:TimeCreated+="05:00:00+06:00"
After ExifTool appends the timezone, ExifTool can change it using the following command.
-IPTC:TimeCreated+="00:00:00+06:00"

I intend to make web videos about using ExifTool to repair time values, so any information you can provide on this topic is appreciated.

I'm using this reference:   ExifTool Date/Time Shift Module

StarGeek

The IPTC:TimeCreated requires a time zone and when one isn't provide, exiftool uses the current system time zone. Even trying to write it with the -n (--printConv) option still adds a time zone. See this very old post.

Does your original file have an IPTC:TimeCreated without a time zone? That will probably require separate processing.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

dwlott

Thank you Stargeek for helping me understand the source of the timezone value.  That's all I needed.
The original IPTC:TimeCreated values were written by my Nikon D750.