Exiftool 12.88 stopped working

Started by kenaso, July 12, 2024, 05:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenaso

I downloaded the new version of Exiftool this morning and it did not recognize my cmd line script.

"C:\Kens Software\MyVideos\exiftool.exe" -r -csv -ext avi -ext m4v -ext mkv -ext mp4 -sort -duration -filesize# -imageheight -imagewidth -doctype "G:\Kids Movies" > "C:\Kens Software\MyVideos\MiscVideo.txt"

I tried both 32-bit and 64-bit. I received no results. What changes do I have to make in my cmd line to start functioning again?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

I just noticed that the downloaded versions are your source codes are not the 10.4 mb executable for Windows. These EXE files are only 36 kB in size.

MessageBox.jpg

Phil Harvey

With this version, if you move exiftool.exe to another directory, you also have to move the "exiftool_files" folder.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

kenaso

Phil,
Thank you for your quick response, however, No matter where I move all these files and folders, the file ExifTool(k).exe and ExifTool.exe produce the same output. The help data. These EXE files have a version number of 1.0.4.0. See attachment. 

I need something to capture the metadata of video files. Meanwhile, I shall continue to use ExifTool 12.8.7.0.
2024-07-13 06 34 13.jpg

FixEUser

Quote from: Phil Harvey on July 12, 2024, 06:34:00 AMWith this version, if you move exiftool.exe to another directory, you also have to move the "exiftool_files" folder.
My I ask why you changed this behaviour to this less user-friendly, more complicated behaviour?

StarGeek

This thread has a long discussion on the technical issues with the previous PAR::Packer (Wikipedia, MetaCPAN module) version. And Oliver Betz goes into some more details on this page.

Exiftool should actually be more user-friendly to install if you use the installer provided by Oliver on this page.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Viktor Nemeth

Quote from: StarGeek on July 13, 2024, 10:24:33 AMThis thread has a long discussion on the technical issues with the previous PAR::Packer (Wikipedia, MetaCPAN module) version. And Oliver Betz goes into some more details on this page.

Exiftool should actually be more user-friendly to install if you use the installer provided by Oliver on this page.

Sorry but this is pretty terrible. Not everyone wants to install things and having 1 file rather than 498 files is a lot more convenient. Also just, respectfully but wth? Would it at least be possible to _also_ provide a package that's a one-file package as-was?

Phil Harvey

The all-in-one package was a self-extracting archive with the same number of files as the new version.  There were a number of problems with the old version that are solve with the new one.  I know it isn't as convenient, but the trade-off is worth it, provided we can get it working for you.  Could you please tell us the output that your command gives?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Viktor Nemeth

Hi Phil,

I do think providing alternatives is a good thing especially if you've had issues with the legacy single exe but the current one is not backwards compatible. I'm not asking to not do the new one but to also retain the old one. While I haven't really gone into the config of building the app but on the surface it looks like about 2 or 3 commands executed and a s total of no more than 5 minutes max

Ps : which command/output?

kenaso

Phil,
I only need one EXE to access with my application, not 498 files in 118 folders. Besides you are the only Perl programmer I know. This is far from being easier.
Can you return to the former single executable? I am still using ExifTool 12.8.7.0 because this new format is not feasible in my environment.

Phil Harvey