Unable to Geotag Merge Video

Started by Arati Mandora, July 17, 2024, 06:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arati Mandora

Hello , I have two videos ,and by merging that I have one merge video  . now I want to update their geotag information by manual merged .gpx file. I tried below command but it is not happing . please help me . it is very helpfull for me.

StarGeek

The simple answer is that you can't.

My standard copy/paste when it comes to GPS data in a video 

The problem is that there really isn't a standard for embedding a GPS track in a video* Currently, exiftool reads **74 76(?) different ways** (I think two more ways will be added with next version) that a GPS track can be in a video and there are about half a dozen more in which the format hasn't been decoded. I have yet to find a program that will embed a GPS track into a video file.

The best you can do is extract the GPS data into a GPX track and save that.

*Technically, there is a standard by Google, but nobody follows it, and I've never found any software that write this format. I mention it in this Exiftool forum's post, which has a response from the author of exiftool

Also note that won't be the only data you will lose when recompressing a video. The same situation exists with the EXIF data that is written into the video. Most video data is `Quicktime data` and EXIF data in a video file is non-standard. But camera companies shove it in there anyway, with each company doing it in different ways. The best you can do in this case is copy the EXIF data into the corresponding XMP tags. The exif2xmp.args file can be used to accomplish this.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Arati Mandora

Can we Extract the frames in every second and geotag it and merge again and create video with retaining GPSdata?

StarGeek

Merging individual frames won't keep the data in those frames. (Most*) video formats aren't made of complete separate frames. They are made up of the changes in the graphic data between the current frame and the previous frame.

* There is a format called Motion JPEG (MJPEG) in which each frame is a jpeg image, but even then, I have doubts that the individual frame metadata is saved, though I don't know for certain. And even if it was, then the only way to get to that data would be to split the whole video back into individual frames again.

One possibility to look at would be to convert the GPX into a subtitle file (SRT). That could be directly added as a subtitle stream to the file or kept beside the video. Any video player that can read subtitles could then display the data when the subtitles are turned on. There are several websites that can convert a GPX file into an SRT file.  Just do a Google search on the subject.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Arati Mandora

exiftool -geotag "J:\Work\Video Merge\consolidated_data.gpx" "J:\Work\Video Merge\merged_video.mp4"

when I used this method to geotag , it will update only one image one whole video .

StarGeek

It's not updating any frames. It's updating the Quicktime GPS tags. These are part of the video header and not part of any of the streams.