Adjust image capture time

Started by photoj, October 22, 2024, 03:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

photoj

Hi

I have a series of images where the camera's time was off by 43 seconds. I need to adjust every image's time stamp by +43 seconds. I'm on a MAC. Can someone suggest a command to batch process a set of images in a folder, overwriting the originals?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Jim

photoj

my best guess:

exiftool -shifttime '+::43'

I'm probably too new at this though!

Phil Harvey

The actual command depends on what date/time tags you want to shift.  To shift everything (mostly), you would do this:

exiftool -time:all+=0:0:43 DIR

but that will reset the filesystem modification date/time to the current time.  If you want to shift this too, use this command instead:

exiftool -time:all+=0:0:43 -filemodifydate+=0:0:43 DIR

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

photoj

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it.

Getting 'no file specified'. trying a few different endings to the directory path - -ext png, %f.png. I tried a path to a specific file, but got the error fg: no current job. See below:

bds@Blues-Mac-mini ~ % exiftool -time:all+=0:0:59/Volumes/Studio\ Sync/Sync/BDS\ Library/2024/20240-09/FBCS\ 2024/Exports/Edited\ Extracts/Time\ Test/ -ext png
No file specified

bds@Blues-Mac-mini ~ % exiftool -time:all+=0:0:59/Volumes/Studio\ Sync/Sync/BDS\ Library/2024/20240-09/FBCS\ 2024/Exports/Edited\ Extracts/Time\ Test/ '-ext png'
Invalid TAG name: "ext png"
No file specified
bds@Blues-Mac-mini ~ % exiftool -time:all+=0:0:59/Volumes/Studio\ Sync/Sync/BDS\ Library/2024/20240-09/FBCS\ 2024/Exports/Edited\ Extracts/Time\ Test/ %f.png
Error: File not found - %f.png
    0 image files updated
    1 files weren't updated due to errors

bds@Blues-Mac-mini ~ % exiftool -time:all+=0:0:59/Volumes/Studio\ Sync/Sync/BDS\ Library/2024/20240-09/FBCS\ 2024/Exports/Edited\ Extracts/Time\ Test/
No file specified

bds@Blues-Mac-mini ~ % % exiftool -time:all+=0:0:59/Volumes/Studio\ Sync/Sync/BDS\ Library/2024/20240-09/FBCS\ 2024/Exports/Edited\ Extracts/Time\ Test/DSC05458.png
fg: no current job

photoj

I believe its one or both of these fields that I need to update:

Date/Time Original              : 2024:10:01 08:43:24
Create Date                     : 2024:10:01 08:43:24

Phil Harvey

You need a space before "/Volumes"

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).