XMP-crss and one acdsee question

Started by louiscar, July 14, 2010, 06:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

louiscar

Hi Phil,

I recently upgraded to LR3 (testing alongside lr2) and wanted to import my LR2 edits across since they are ignored by LR3 curiously as the xmp sidecar files lr2 creates are also ignored.

I have a batch file using tagsfromfile method to copy the lr xmp-crs over to my nefs however, this time I needed to do the same to xmp-crss (the import and snapshot data) as many files had snapshots with black and white versions.

Exiftools seems to ignore the command to copy this tag though. Here is what I use for xmp-crs:

exiftool -tagsFromFile %%f.xmp -@ LRcrss.args  *.nef

Where the args file contains:

-XMP-crs:all > xmp-crs:all

If I change or add the crss tag:

-XMP-crss:all > xmp-crss:all

That doesn't seem to work. Even using exiftoolgui to copy all xmp tags ignores this.

However if I use a batchfile with this to copy all xmp data it works :

exiftool "-xmp<=%%d/%%f.xmp" -ext nef .
(or the single file version)

exiftool "-xmp<=dsc_7554.xmp" dsc_7554.nef

Am I missing something. The reason I am selectively copying over the LR tags is to avoid problems when using acdsee which will unfortunately wipe out lr xmp tags so when working between these two programs I have do a bit of dancing, this brings me to another question about acdsee.

You recently added the ability to selectively copy acdsee tags over so can I presume this would get over the problem mentioned. Acdsee is a better catalogue program so I tend to do keywording with this but as usual it'll produce a sidecar file but of course if edited in LR it will ignore this and copy out a sidcar minus any xmp-crs tags annoyingly.

Hopefully now I'd be able to just copy the xmp-acdsee tag into an nef which contains xmp-crs tags. Am I correct in this assumption?

Lastly in relation to my first query, I'm still on v 7.5 or so. I know I should upgrade to the latest one and will do but I didn't see anything that might fix the problem with xmp-crss using tagsfromfile.

Phil Harvey

The problem is that ExifTool can't yet write the XMP-crss tags.

The XMP-acdsee tags are writable, so copying these into an NEF will work.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

louiscar

Ok that explains it. At least I can use the other method to do all the tags just to preserve the edits on the batch I'm working on. I've not shown these to acdsee yet so it shouldn't be problem.

Hopefully at some point you'll consider the addition of the crss tags .. perhaps when you've got absolutely nothing to do and it's raining outside. :D

regards

Louis