Does Windows have a way to accept the Orientation Tags ?

Started by evilaro, September 22, 2010, 11:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evilaro

Hello:

I am using a computer with XP wide screen.

I have 2 images :

1  is portrait and I see it as portrait using Leadtools (the program I use to see images)
The tag is Orientation= Rotate 270 CW
Using Windows I see it as Landscape
(So windows does not implement the tags..fine)

2 Is Landscape, I see it  as landscape
Using Lead tools or Windows
The tag is Orientation= Horizontal (normal)
All normal here.

*** If I change the tags using EXIFTOOL and reload the image, it implements the tags
and visually the imagen is rotated, so I see it acordingly and well ****.
But in Windows remains unchanged.... fine.

I have another computer... with XP and another with W7
Same aplication, I do the same rotating (changin tags) using Leadtools, the tags are changed as requested, but the imagen does not Change...

Why ia computer will do it and not in others ???
Is there something on the operating system
that I can change to make the image follow the tags??
Does Windows by default does not follow the tags??

I feel I AM MISSING SOMETHING.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Emilio
www.evilfoto.eu

Phil Harvey

I don't think you are missing anything.  Some software simply ignores EXIF when rendering the image.  So use of the EXIF Orientation tag is not a reliable way to rotate an image.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

Hi,

If I may add..
All Windows versions (since beginning) ignore Exif:Orientation tag when displaying images and thumbnails. It's a shame! -especially if we consider, that we're talking about almost twenty years old (Exif) specification.
Of course, one can phisically (lossless) rotate images, but there's always a chance, that some metadata get lost (and btw. rotation implemented in Windows isn't lossles in all cases).
On the other hand, all other imaging tools (at least those I've seen), make use of Orientation tag.

Bogdan