Main Menu

Automating Photo Process

Started by pjwulf, October 26, 2010, 10:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjwulf

All -

I am trying to automate a process and I am hoping ExifTool might be my solution. I have outlined below the base process.

I am using a new Sureshot DSC-HX5V with built in GPS and an Eye-Fi wireless SD card to do uploads to the photo management workstation.

Requirements
1. Upload pics from several cameras to individual folders for each camera
2. Sort the photos based on GPS info. Each selection of photos are specific to a location
3. Be able to monitor the folders for new photo uploads.

Thanks in advance for any advice...Pj

Phil Harvey

The only trick here is sorting by location.  You would need to keep a database of locations and come up with some criteria for deciding which location a picture belongs to, then write this as a script to automate the process.  ExifTool can extract the information and move the files, but your script would need to decide what to call the location.  Then with a standard utility like cron to run the script periodically to check for new images in the upload folder.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

pjwulf

Phil-

Thank you for the quick response. I will look into doing as you have advised.

Pj