News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Newbie with GPS questions

Started by gkphotography, January 12, 2011, 07:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gkphotography

Hi, gang.  I'm scanning in old slides and using Google Maps to derive GPS coordinates, then entering those coordinates into ExifToolGUI.  However, every time I check the coordinates on a map using Jeffrey's Exif viewer (http://regex.info/exif.cgi/exif.cgi), the coordinates are showing that my pictures were taken, for example, in the middle of the South China Sea.

For example, Google Maps gives me a longitude of -123 degrees, but ETGUI won't let me enter the hyphen.  I think this is the cause of my problem but I'm not sure.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

-Greg

Phil Harvey

Hi Greg,

If you are writing EXIF GPS information, you need to write GPSLatitudeRef (North or South) and GPSLongitudeRef (East or West) as well as GPSLatitude/GPSLongitude (which are unsigned in EXIF).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

gkphotography

Hi, Phil.  Thanks for the reply.  I think I'm doing that already.  That is, the GUI has a check box for North and East.  I check it for North and leave it blank for East, which would (I thought) indicate West.  Hmm.

BogdanH

Hi Greg,

You're right about "unchecked=West".. I've (again) tried with GUI:
45°00.000 +checked (=North)
123°00.000 +unchecked (=West)
50 m +checked (=Above sea level)

-and data is, according to ExifTool, saved as it should (New York area). I don't know about Jeffrey's tool...

Bogdan

Added: I forgot to mention, that GUI writes values only into Exif GPS section -any existing GPS data inside Xmp section isn't modified.

Phil Harvey

If this isn't working, I suspect that there may be some intereference from GPS information stored in XMP format, which requires a signed value.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

gkphotography

Thanks, BogdanH and Phil.  I'll play around with it a bit more.  I'm very new to GPS, so there seems to be a bit of a learning curve.

-Greg